Tile question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRkorey

I really don’t want to do reptile carpet. I rather do slate tile. A couple concerns I have is will the tile heat up and hurt the baby dragon? I have a 20 gallon long so I believe the Dimensions are 30x12. If I buy the tile how to I go about cleaning it the first time before putting it in the tank? Can I just wash it and it will be ok?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
The tile will definitely not hurt your beardie. It will heat up a bit on the warm side but not too much and ive seen my juvenile bask quite a lot on the tile in her 75 gallon enclosure rather than her actual basking spot.

Usually for cleaning just spot clean it daily, and then for deep cleanings usually once a week or once a month take the tile out, put them in warm water and rinse and scrub anything on it off and then put it in the oven at 250f for 30 minutes to bake so it kills anything else on it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. Tile shouldn't cause harm and is easy to clean and sanitize. I've used it for years now. Just keep an eye on the surface temps with an IR temp gun or a digital thermometer with probes placed on the basking surface and cool end surfaces. For cleaning I do the same spot cleaning with vinegar/water as needed and then either sanitize with F10 or bake the tile in the oven on low for 45 min or so.

CliffsMom

If the tile is too hot, you can put a wooden log or something there. A paper towel on that spot will also do the trick - just one layer is enough. I've also put down a scrap of cloth when I ran out of paper towel and that was fine. I noticed it was too hot when my lizard was standing there and shifting from leg to leg - fully picking up the foot for a few seconds then switching. I would stay on the safe side and put something down on the warmest spot - thermal burns are NOT fun.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We put slate tile in our 55 gal -- I love it -- it is so easy to clean -- I have a bottle of vinegar/ water in a spray bottle and clean the tank everyday w/ papertowels and the vin/water-- so easy -- but Hiccup seems to poop in one spot -- on his basking rock every morning -- which is even easier to clean up since I can just pick it up and remove it and clean it out side the tank-- I wipe the tiles down w/ the paper towels from the calcium from the roaches he chases -- and we can pull the tiles as well if we need to --- we got the tiles from Home Depot cut them to fit the tank --- great idea for substrate --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom