IS THIS SAFE ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
95418-4280138603.jpg
I wanted to move my heat lamp to the back but I’m worried about the uvb bulb getting too hot.. i know they run warm but if my heat lamp was close to it can it withstand the heat of it ?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but it is typically safe, Just don't put the heat lamp right on top of the UVB. and Is there any way you could move the UVB to pointing downward instead of sideways and outward? It would be best for the UVB to be facing downward and the beardie would get the best UVB exposure.

Also you don't need a red lamp. Throw it in the trash. They can mess up their sleep patterns and mess with their eyesight. If you need to heat the tank at night (if it drops below 65* at night you don't need one). You can use a CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) at night which produces no light (they do get a bit hot though).

Also your beardie is on a particle substrate that I can tell from the picture. Please throw it out because particle substrates can cause:
>Particle substrates harbor bacteria and sometimes fungus spores,
>It has a risk of impaction,
>It's very hard to spot clean,
>It smells,
>and it can stain the skin on beardies,
>Prolapses,
>Joint issues,
> provides a place for tons of bacteria to breed,
>so not very clean even if you do spot clean it,
>it can cause scale rot sometimes,
>it also can cause fungal infections. And of course death.

There's about a billion other reasons why not to use particle substrates but these are some of the biggest issues.

Unlike a Tegu, or a Blue Tongue Skink, or anything like those species that can be kept on particle substrates, beardies can’t because they are so prone to these things. Those other species are generally on correct substrates as well, which sand isn't very good for any type of animal and lots of people almost always assume desert equals a sand filled wasteland.

Good substrates are:

>Slate tile,
>Carpet (but make sure there is no loose threads which could wrap around a toe and cut off circulation),
>Paper towels,
>Newsprint,
>and Even Linoleum.

These are good examples of a good substrate and setup: View media item 60902 View media item 60757 (in this picture you can't see the UVB but it is rigged underneath the screen).

Sorry for the long post, :D

-HippieLizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom