Viv help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I was going to post this in enclosures, but wasn't sure if it fit there even though it is about an enclosure...hope that made sense.

I really don't like Charlie's enclosure. I liked it when I had it fixed up, but then I had to remove the customs I did as it turned out not to be safe for him. I would LOVE to build him a 4x2x2 feet enclosure - here is my problem - my health. I have MS and my husband has Parkinson's. I've been too physically tired to do the work even though I know how to do it. I've been looking online at enclosures and - well - they are not cheap in Canada, plus the taxes and expense of shipping.

I would really love ideas on how to get or build him something that size that would destroy my bank account (any more than it already is!). I've already got some things for it - I have a T5 bulb fixture (that plugs in!) and the bulb (different from the T8s he has now). Actually I have everything for it except the actual built, water proof enclosure. I bought self-adhesive self liner that looks like marble (nice dark grey/black) to line the walls with and I have tile for the bottom.

Is there someplace that does custom cutting? If I could get the boards cut, I can piece it all together (I hope). I'd love to build up rocks and stuff for him...I have done that before and there's no rush.

Hmmm...sorry, I'm kind of putting this out here for ideas, and partly to tell myself I can do it, I just need to get the wood and sealants and vent. :silent: I don't know. I wanted it done a month ago and I have yet to get it done and now the holidays are here.

Thanks for reading my vent.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
That is really nice! I worry though with used furniture - they never seem to be wide enough. At least not around here.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I’ve seen some great YouTube videos by respected beardie breeders that show how to build a large custom viv for less than $150. Melamine seems to be a popular material, and I know someone who went to Home Depot or Lowe’s (sorry—I forget which) and had them cut the pieces for him. They’ll also cut custom tile for you if that’s your desired substrate.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I have another question...i could potentially use a piece of furniture I already have. The interior dimensions are 43" long x 22" wide - not bad. The problem is the height - it's only 16.5". Is there a way to set up interior basking in that short a space? I've been trying to Google it...no luck.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Melamine is popular because it's water proof but it's quite heavy. Using plywood and coating it with paint or polyurethane might be easier to handle. As mentioned, the stores may be able to help you with the cuts if the measurements are already made. I've found that gutter guards tend to work well to cover vent holes as well.

It would be convenient to use furniture you have, but that is pretty low. Perhaps you could leave the top open and suspend the lighting from overhead. I do that with my 18'' tall glass enclosure to maximize overhead space.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So...here's the start of the furniture transformation. I do have concerns about the height, but I found ceramic fixtures that are low profile and may fit the grade.

I am using self-adhesive shelf liner and I love the texturedlook of it (that and I suck at putting it on). I have time for the bottom and I think I need to get some pieces cut. But this is where I finished for today
87171-448590820.jpg

This is a T5 fixture I got at Kent (local hardware shop). It's perfect.
87171-6287203184.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should do nicely. Even without a reflector, those T5s are pretty good at about 8'' or so and with areas away from the light to the right side it should work well. If you can put the basking light on a dimmer then it will help you fine tune the temps since you won't be able to adjust the height of the basking light.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Oooo...dimmer is a great idea! I'm hoping to get it done in the next few weeks. The more I see his present viv, the more I see the flaws in it. His reflection is really stressing him out. I'm going to make the doors on the new one mesh for air ventilation. That way there's no reflection to stress him out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With the wooden enclosures I usually recommend a low vent on the cool side and a high vent on the warm side. That way it should allow for air movement via convection

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I was looking at using these
87171-9942764271.jpg

There about 4 inches long total.

I'll add in the vents as well ?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
That's my concern. Figuring out a way to configure the basking area and have the lights far enough to avoid burns...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you cut a hole in the top, you can try mounting the ceramic bit through the wood so the bulb is as high up as possible. The bracket could go on the outside. Then you might want to fit some kind of trim around the top to cover it though - wouldn't look as clean. Alternatively you could have a low basking area. Maybe a thin flat rock or something. And have the climbing branches be more to the center or cool side so the bulb stays out of reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom