Need some opinions and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenm1

Hello everyone, I have had Carmella for 2.5 years and she is in a 4x2x2 glass aquarium with no top.(has been in the enclosure for about 2 years). I have some questions about lighting. She has been very healthy, has grown a lot, and is the nicest Dragon you could meet. She is on non adhesive shelf liner, with a natural rock and 2 pieces of large Mopani wood. Since it is a rather large tank I have 2 basking spots (90watt Flood) that range from 102-80 degrees with the floor being in the mid 70’s. The heat should be good, but UVB is the question. I have a 2 foot ReptiSun 10.0 T8, after reading here lately not sure if it’s enough. The light is 11inches from top of the highest basking spot, and 20 inches off the floor. Here are some pics..... (towel isn’t in there)
95554-1127592558.jpg
95554-7601556019.jpg
95554-8952421564.jpg
She has been in tank for awhile and she is doing great. But if I need to upgrade I was thinking ReptiSun 10.0 t5HO with a fixture to lay on top of the tank. Only question would be how long, and if it is longer that two feet is it ok to have it run across the plastic support on top of the tank? Thank you!
95554-4679400972.jpg

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Carmella looks beautiful as well as the tank. A four foot tank may need the 36 inch T5 10.0 UVB. I'm sure you will get some advice from this post.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah at that distance I'd definitely go with a T5. 22'' is long enough because it will allow her to bask evenly, but you could use a 36'' if you want to because you'll still have some area with low/no UVB to one side. The key is making an area of intense UVB and high heat and still allowing cooler areas with little UVB. If you move the light to the front or back you can also create a zone with higher heat and less UVB which they sometimes prefer.

Stevenm1

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply’s, I’m leaning towards the upgrade to reptisun 10.0 t5 HO. I’m glad to here you think the 22 inch bulb would work, it would make it a lot easier given my lighting situation. Thanks

Stevenm1

Original Poster
One more question, what is the absolute minimum distance of the Reptisun 10.0 t5 ho. It will have the zoomed hood and reflector, and I do not have a screen or any lid. The highest point in my cage would be 11 inches, but that’s to the surface. It doesn’t take into account her body and if she is in a upright posture. Would this still work?

Stevenm1

Original Poster
So just got my new ReptiSun 10.0 t5 ho UVB light and fixture. Wanted to show you the placement of the bulb to see what you think, I think it’s in an optimal position. Turned the light on an hour ago and looks great, but she’s acting like she knows something changed and is a little timid. Is that normal? It could be just me.... ha ha.... Thanks for the advice!

95554-1424050653.jpg
95554-4496884598.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom