Enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
My beardie "Dyna" didn't really like the big new wood enclosure so I'm going to hold onto it maybe later she will but for the time being, using her original glass terrarium. Good thing I kept it as a backup :D
92311-6392826657.jpg
At the moment, using the Reptisun T5HO 10.0 it seems to serve better than the Mega-Ray. She seems to enjoy it too.

The vet mentioned the exo-terra front ventilation and was wondering if the 24" height version terrarium (36" x 18" x 24") would work best even if she does prefer the glass as an adult? Or should I not listen to the vet and keep what I already have? He said the wood needed more ventilation and he recommended exo terra ones. So I'm really confused now :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are a lot of opinions on it and a lot of them are valid. I'd go with what works for the two of you in your particular situation. It sounds like the current glass tank is fine so I'd stick with that for now.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. It was confusing because I thought larger enclosure is best plus she'll get accustomed to the enclosure but I am not sure. Since it was more closed off than before maybe it retained too much heat so she was hiding or felt uncomfortable which led her to not eat that much as before. I was reading that if they are too hot they won't be hungry as much. I love her new enclosure a lot better and paid a lot of $$ so trying to come up with a solution that meets the vet halfway least. His recommendations were:
-More ventilation
-Ceramic tiles (extreme temperatures - too cold) and so he was saying if she is laying on the tile and its cold, she won't be getting the proper digestion and heat she needs.

If using the wood enclosure, wouldn't it be best to keep the CHE on at night on the other side of the terrarium this will keep the cold ceramic tiles at bay and still keep her warm?
If I went back to original setup with screen top but just only allow a hole for the Mega-Ray to set inside of the viv so that she can benefit the full use.

I know some of the vets are stuck in the past and retained the information back when but he was a tad confused when i mentioned what about using a CHE? He looked at me like what? :lol: and also he asked what UVB you using and I told him at the moment I have reptisun 10.0 T5HO and Mega-ray and I do not use both at the same time. It's either one or another. He asked, "What is a mega-ray?" LOL who is it by? So clearly, he isn't up to date information on lighting :shock:

But... what he did recommend did make sense in theory. If she is laying on tile and its cold, it won't be good for her digestion system, etc.

There were some good valid points and then the other points were like, is it really necessary?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
92311-3446503235.jpg
When I first made changes to the viv. I think it was a great start but needed to make a small hole for the MVB to set inside.

92311-9892796883.jpg
Then I made changes to this since it was getting colder, thought it would be better but clearly, the vet wants it to be more open for ventilation.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The rear vents should be enough. If I had to adjust it, I'd put one vent low on the cool side to intake air and one vent high on the warm side to output air. That convection flow should provide plenty of ventilation in a wooden viv.

I use tile and it does retain heat and can feel cold too, but I rely on the surface temp readings which tell me exactly what it is. The tile doesn't go below room temp and doesn't get harmfully cool. Overnight, it's common and fine for it to go into the low 70s. The cool side tile in my tank usually stays around 75 during the day depending on the room temp too. If there is a good gradient, she will move around and warm up if she needs to.

I don't think there is anything harmful with your wooden viv. It seems to just be her preference to be in the glass one for now, which is OK. Give the wooden one another try later on and see if she takes to it. I would just go with what her reaction and preferences are. She'll know what she likes.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, thank you. I will put back at least the ceramic tiles because cleaning up the repti-carpet is such a pain! He did recommend it and putting U.T.H. pads underneath the glass enclosure but everyone is different. I just want to make sure she is healthy and provided enough warmth. I'll give this glass enclosure an experiment a week or two to see how she does.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Made some changes to the glass terrarium. Figured she likes this glass terrarium, so I made it a little more comfortable for her. I made her a wooden basking platform in case she wants to get really warm but also that log is a nice gradient as well. I also put back her original tile.
92311-9768323772.jpg
She also has a secondary basking area if she wants to be cool but stay warm. It's about 80 degrees there. Hot side is about 95 degrees. Least she has some options.
I am also going to be making her a hammock as well :D
I have no idea why she likes this one, its smaller than the wood enclosure. Maybe her reflection? Maybe the background? I have no clue why she prefers this one over her big enclosure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hard to say for sure. Perhaps she prefers the open feeling of the glass and being able to see out the sides easily.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, that's true and good point :lol: I did do an experiment by adding some fabric to cover up the sides to see her reaction she didn't really like that too much so you might be right about being able to see out rather than just seeing only the front view.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So I guess the answer is use the wooden enclosure but install LED video boards on the side to display real-time HD videos of the Australian bushland... :lol:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
LOL that's a brilliant idea. I am sure she will love that. :lol: :D I'll even add some audio as well to make it more 4D experience ha ha give her some 3D glasses to wear and she will be set! :p

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I did a little experiment to find out this slight cause as to why she might hiding. I put back the tiles, she seemed to not like them maybe too slippery, different temperatures, who knows but every time I put the tile back in her enclosure. BAM! She wants to go hide.. very odd right? So this time, I put back the carpet and she hasn't hid yet. The other thing is I tried with her Mega-Ray bulb and not he reptisun. I think she is spoiled with her lights now so she only likes the mega-ray :lol: I just raised up the mega-ray so its not too close for her. Also, with the reptisun she was making these weird eye twitches or maybe there "blinking" but either way I wanted to fix it ASAP! Not only beardies are extremely picky in their food but as well as their habitat and lighting :eek: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom