WARNING! Bad batch of 90 cm ReptiSun Hoods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Currently, there is a seemingly permanent bad batch of ReptiSun Hoods going around which I believe is a global thing for all new stock as of the past few weeks. Zoo-Med have NO IDEA what is going on and any that are sent back to the manufacturer are lost to the void. I am told that this affects approximately 90% of the stock that is sent out to customers and after a few days, your hood will fizzle out and no longer work.

Moderators, if you can, please pin this topic. AVOID THE PURCHASE OF ANY REPTISUN HOODS for the present time. Myself, I have been affected by this and it is how I found out about this.

EDIT (2017/11/09): As mentioned in a post below, new information has revealed that this only affects the 90 cm ReptiSun Hood Reflectors. Apologies for mentioning/implying otherwise but I was only going by the information I had at the time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't heard about this. This is recent info regarding the hoods themselves, or the bulbs? Do you have links to further info about it?

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1qjmo9c6 said:
I haven't heard about this. This is recent info regarding the hoods themselves, or the bulbs? Do you have links to further info about it?

Just the hoods, as far as I know. You can email and/or call the people at this store below for more details, if you want: https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/

It's where I originally found the information about this and where I originally ordered my hood recently.

susan1919

phobosdthorga":ksvgvne4 said:
CooperDragon":ksvgvne4 said:

Just the hoods, as far as I know. You can email and/or call the people at this store below for more details, if you want: https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/

It's where I originally found the information about this and where I originally ordered my hood recently.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I changed this topic to a "sticky" so it would be at the top of the Enclosure forum.
Thanks for sharing this info with us.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
This is the one I had purchased:

https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/collections/reptile-lighting/products/reptisun-terrarium-hood-90cm

From the information Kellyville Pets had shared with me, they just said it was a 'batch' problem. I don't know if that was referring to only this model of Zoo-Med hoods in particular or the company's entire inventory of all their hoods. Kellyville's solution was to offer me a Reptile One hood (which I absolutely refused to downgrade towards, I refuse to support that truly shoddy company) or use an Exo-Terra CFL hood. The latter option would only lead me to irritating my Beardies eyes once more, which already happened with the use of Reptile One's CFLs beforehand when I didn't know better. I tell you, these pet shops are in it for nothing but the profit margin. They were extremely helpful in trying to resolve my issue but at the same time, they were still trying to make a buck from me in the whole mess of things. I just chose to get a full refund on the hood and tube in the end.

EDIT: Thank you for the replies and thank you for making this a sticky :)

Akire

My ReptiSun T5 HO Hood is working wonderfully, but it was purchased when I bought Norbert so about 4 months ago.

I worry about all this info coming from Kellyville Pets. I'm sure there is a problem, but how accurate is their information? Has anyone actually heard from Zoo Med directly on the matter? I just have a hard time believing 90% of the stock is bad. Where did that statistic come from?

Thank you for bringing this issue to all of our attention. :)

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, after speaking to Kellyville Pets today, I was just informed that only the 90 cm Hoods from Zoo-Med are affected. All the other Hood sizes are perfectly fine so I apologize for saying/implying otherwise. I was only going by the information I had at the time.

Akire":25i294b4 said:
My ReptiSun T5 HO Hood is working wonderfully, but it was purchased when I bought Norbert so about 4 months ago.

I worry about all this info coming from Kellyville Pets. I'm sure there is a problem, but how accurate is their information? Has anyone actually heard from Zoo Med directly on the matter? I just have a hard time believing 90% of the stock is bad. Where did that statistic come from?

Thank you for bringing this issue to all of our attention. :)

There was no issue with the Zoo-Med hood(s) 4 months ago, I believe. It's only occurred in the past few weeks with any new stock that the pet-stores are receiving. For one, Kellyville Pets are a large supplier in Australia and they have some of the best customer service too. I'm not defending them but just giving reasons why they might be more trustworthy than other pet-stores. The statistic came from them directly and with the stock that has been returned to them :)

EDIT: I have updated the subject of the post accordingly.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here's proof of my order for the doubters :) Although some parts have been blurred out to retain my privacy.

95175-1174802045.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mmm.... I've not read this one in detail (yet) but if there are bad (as in dangerous ?) hoods out there the company needs to do a formal product recall, if they are otherwise faulty, I would think a product recall or an offer to repair at no cost to the consumer needs to advertised by the company.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2nj9grgk said:
Mmm.... I've not read this one in detail (yet) but if there are bad (as in dangerous ?) hoods out there the company needs to do a formal product recall, if they are otherwise faulty, I would think a product recall or an offer to repair at no cost to the consumer needs to advertised by the company.

I'm not sure if they are dangerous if part of the faulty batch, per se, but maybe that's the reason why they have not done a formal product recall? Because they aren't a danger to the consumer? They're simply dodgy.

I'm only thinking out loud here, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom