Sand Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killjoy01

Is it at any point okay to have sand or dirt substrate for bearded dragons? Nazar will dig under the puppy pad in her tank and she seems to like being covered up when she sleeps, she has a washcloth in there now and if I cover her up at night she doesn't seem to want to dig as much? Could I get a Tupperware container of reptile sand for her to dig in for an hour or two out of the day or is sand completely off limits? Is there anything else I can give her to dig in?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can always try holding her at night, wrapping her in a nice soft fleece blankie, which will
eventually spoil her! LOL
As far as sand for play & digging goes, a lot of people do provide that for their dragons. I only
recommend the washed & sifted playsand but not the reptisand or calcisand sold in petstores..
The washed & sifted playsand has no calcium so if ingested it wont literally harden into a mass
of cement like substance, impacting them.
A lot of them do love to dig!

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sand is controversial. Some people use it without issue and some use it with devastating effects. I find it to be stinky and messy so I prefer solid substrates. My guy likes to burrow when he sleeps too which is tough with a tile substrate. I think burrowing behavior is pretty common and natural for them so it's good to find ways to accommodate it. I've found that using small fleece blankets works really well because it allows for burrowing while being soft/comfortable for them and easy to clean up in the washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom