Lighting setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellusionz

Hello! We are in the processing of setting up a tank at my job for our new office pet. I'm very big on researching and am looking to figure out the best setup before the beardie comes, probably a juvie or a bit older if possible. We just purchased a 40gal breeder tank that was on sale at Pet Supplies Plus. I have the reptile carpet and some other accessories. Working on getting a hide and basking spot. Still need to research the food but a few of the other staff have had these lizards before so I'm letting them work on that part. I'm have questions on the lighting tho. I'm reading and seeing a lot of different options and wanted to know what might work best for our needs.

I hear the less movement of the lights the better. The tank we have because of what we could afford does open from the top only so after we get the lizard acclimated anything that's on the top would have to be moved repeatedly to access it. I planned on getting Zoo Med 26053 Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood, 24" with a stand for a deep dome light fixture.

First question, would the mini deep or deep be better for a 40 gallon?

I have heard of two ways to mount a tube light, either putting it on the top screen or fixing it to the inside of the tank. No one I know has ever seen the second option and we're concerned about the lizard hurting itself on the light. The tank we purchased is 16" high. The reviews say this one is fine sitting on the screen.

Second question, is that setup ok or how would you recommend installing the tube? How do you bring the wiring out the screen top and find a fixture that properly runs the reptisun light?

Another thing that has been read about are those MVB bulbs.

Third question, how would the light setup go with these? Is this the only bulb you would need or do you still use two bulbs to stretch the UVB lighting across the cage to the cool section?

Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ellusionz":2ia9e1gi said:
Hello! We are in the processing of setting up a tank at my job for our new office pet. I'm very big on researching and am looking to figure out the best setup before the beardie comes, probably a juvie or a bit older if possible. We just purchased a 40gal breeder tank that was on sale at Pet Supplies Plus. I have the reptile carpet and some other accessories. Working on getting a hide and basking spot. Still need to research the food but a few of the other staff have had these lizards before so I'm letting them work on that part. I'm have questions on the lighting tho. I'm reading and seeing a lot of different options and wanted to know what might work best for our needs.

I hear the less movement of the lights the better. The tank we have because of what we could afford does open from the top only so after we get the lizard acclimated anything that's on the top would have to be moved repeatedly to access it. I planned on getting Zoo Med 26053 Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood, 24" with a stand for a deep dome light fixture.

First question, would the mini deep or deep be better for a 40 gallon?

>>>> I don't think in terms of gallons capacity for vivs , best to think in terms of L x W x H in cm or inches.
Visit a pet shop and take a tape measure and measure the viv you are thinking of buying if the sizes are not available on line.
Typically for beardies I'd aim for a viv between 40cm and 60cm tall.

This is a good guide for sizing the viv for your chosen beardie :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236462&p=1817571#p1817571

A good ZooMed T5HO 10% tube or Arcadia T5HO 12% tube will be fine with a viv up to 60cm tall.
A GOOD GUIDE FOR SETTING UP THE THERMAL AND UV GRADIENT IN A VIV.
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

is a good idea to mount the UVB globe or one end of the UVB T8 or T5 tube, so it’s adjacent as close as you can arrange it , to the basking bulb.

Aim for 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot and about 100 microW UVB / sq.cm elsewhere.

I have heard of two ways to mount a tube light, either putting it on the top screen or fixing it to the inside of the tank.
<<< best to mount UNDER the screen if you insist on having one of those silly glass fishtanks with mesh lids , the screen will block up to 40% of the UV , see
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Cable tires poked through the mesh and wrapped around the reflector hood will be plenty secure.

No one I know has ever seen the second option and we're concerned about the lizard hurting itself on the light. The tank we purchased is 16" high.

<<< 40cm = 16 inches tall ) ==> the reflector hood and a Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tubes needs to be UNDER THE MESH ,
If you mount it ( a reflector hood + Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB ontop of the mesh , you will instantly loose 40% of the UV intensity , if it's fine mesh, you need to compensate for the 38% loss ,
so the correct distance is X = (1-0.38)x ,
ie Arcadia T5HO 12%UVB in a reflector hood is x = 27cm , so X=(1-0.38)*27 = 16.7cm = 16.7/2.54 inches ( about 6.5 inches to the basking spot).

The reviews say this one is fine sitting on the screen.
<<< don't believe commercial reviews unless you see the hard UVB flux data .

Second question, is that setup ok or how would you recommend installing the tube? How do you bring the wiring out the screen top and find a fixture that properly runs the reptisun light
Another thing that has been read about are those MVB bulbs. ?

<<< MVB bulbs are fine , get heat, bright whiteish light, UVA and UVB all in one , but hard to fine tune temperature gradients and UV gradients from essentially a beam from a small source.
Third question, how would the light setup go with these? Is this the only bulb you would need or do you still use two bulbs to stretch the UVB lighting across the cage to the cool section?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom