Too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
When I woke up this morning and looked into my beardies enclosure it said 62 F. I am not sure if it had dropped even more so but I was wondering if that's a bit too cold? I don't want him to catch a cold or get sick. Should I supply a low wattage ceramic heat emitter? If so, what is a good wattage to get for a wood enclosure (4ft x 2ft x 2ft)? Also, can they be on a dimmer at all?

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's not too bad and shouldn't cause a problem. If it drops below that regularly overnight a CHE is a good idea. 100w usually does the trick and they can be set on a dimmer. I would only bump the temps into the low 70s. My thermostat is set to keep overnight temps between 70(on) and 73(off).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a basic on/off thermostat which would be OK for a CHE but I wouldn't use it for a basking light. You'll want a dimming thermostat for that so the light isn't constantly flicking on and off. I think for that you'll want a VE-200D or a Herpstat1.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, awesome. I looked them up and they look like great products, a little pricey but I think its worth it since you get all the features and what not. The only downfall is cant use a MVB with it. I might have to save up for those. Also, I tried using the 100w CHE last night and it turns out great this morning the temp in his viv was 73 degrees. I wasn't sure if the 100w would be too much but I think its good wattage for now. It's still chilly at nights going into fall but I will have to wait till it gets into winter months :eek:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is that on/off operation too? If so it won't work well with a basking light. That should be fine for a CHE though since the on/off wouldn't be visible. You're right that the MVB won't work well with a thermostat. The dimming thermostats seem to work best with halogen lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom