UVB & Glass??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katacara

Hello everyone! I am wondering about the amount (if any) of UVB that might get through window glass? I know that the UVB bulbs that we use do not work through glass, but I also know that natural sun is so much stronger and better.

My dragons love to sit in my windows, which right now is fine because I can open them to let the UVB in. I live in MA and winter is coming so soon I will have to close all my storm windows. My dragons go crazy in their tanks! Always wanting out, so they pretty much free-range all day (and some nights if I can't find them). I have one basking spot set up for them with a UVB bulb but they do not use it much because they prefer the windows. I also have a "swimming" pool set up for them, and a salad bar as well.

If no UVB or not enough UVB makes it through the window glass, I will just buy and set up some UVB bulbs above the window ledge, I am also going to be adding a basking spot for the window area.

Because they free-range so much I want to make sure that they are safe, and getting what they need to be happy and healthy!

Thanks for your help!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Pretty much no uvb will go through the glass. There is special glass that does let uvb in though. I am curious about where to get it from for future window box use myself. It would probably be easiest to get a mega ray for the window for both uvb and heat.

Katacara

Original Poster
Mega Light?? I have not herd of this.... could you give me a brand name or online store so I can check them out?

I would love to only need 1 fixture!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use two of them as portable basking spots in different parts of the house. I don't put them right in the window but they are available when my guy is cruising around the house on the floor. It should sit about 10-12'' up for best UVB exposure. Here is how I have one of mine set up.

76248-2881195503.jpg

Katacara

Original Poster
Nice! Thank you!! I will put those on my "things I need to get" list.... It's such a long list, and it seems to never stop growing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom