Easy way to check thermometer reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A wee bit of high school science.

Two point method :

Ground ice mixed with cold tap water , mix and let come to equilibrium by standing for 10mins , give it a stir and take the reading by immersing the probe in the ice-water mix , should read 0 degC.
Bring water to a rolling boil , and immerse probe in the boiling water , should read 100 degC.

If both are spot on , assume a straight line between two points and any measurement in the range 0 - 100 degC will be accurate.

If one or both are out, it's an issue with the thermometer, again draw a straight line between the high and low reading and note the varying differences between line and a line drawn between the standard temperatures , this gives the error and allows you to correct for any measured temperature between the high and low.
2_point_method.png

Calibration Curve Method :

Requires 3 or more KNOWN temperatures plotted as curve.
Need at least one other pure substance with a bp or mp in the range required , best if it's bp or mp is close to the desired temperature.
Use a spline to fit a curve between the H20 mp, material 2 temp, material 3 temp ...., and H20 bp.
Now measure these temperatures and draw a second curve , the difference is the error curve.
method_2_calibration_curve.png

Convenient melting points (mp) in degrees C
H20 = 0.0
S = 95.3
K = 63.5
Glycerol = 20.0
Naphthalene = 80.3
Benzoic Anhydride = 42.0
Phenol = 40.9

Convenient boiling points (bp) in degrees C
H20 = 100.0
Acetaldehyde = 20.4
Acetone = 56.3
CS2 = 46.5
Methy Acetate = 56.3
Methyl Formate = 31.5
Iodo Methane = 43.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom