temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fairly large viv. (4 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet deep.) night time temps are 80-85 and daytime temps are 109 - 80. my good friend was lecturing me that I keep the enclosure too warm at night and I should do away with my 24-7 heat bulb and let my temps drop lower at night. any thoughts?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, the temp. should drop a little bit lower at night. For babies or sick dragons a higher temp. like that is O.K, but generally 70-75 is best. It won't really hurt your dragon, but it's not necessary either and you def. wouldn't want it any higher.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
99.9% of bearded dragon owners need absolutely no nighttime heat source at all. Yes, all of those "bearded dragon night bulbs" are not only unnecessary, but they also disrupt their sleep.

They come from the Australian desert, which at night becomes much cooler than the daytime temperatures, and it's pitch black! So yes, your beardie not only wants his enclosure to be considerably cooler at night than during the day, he also needs you to ditch any nighttime lights all together. AS LONG AS HIS ENCLOSURE STAYS AT 65 DEGREES AT NIGHT AT THE COOLEST, WHICH 99.9 % OF HOMES DO, YOU NEED ABSOLUTELY NO NIGHTTIME HEAT SOURCE! It's a waste of a bulb, of electricity, and it is disrupting his sleep.

If for some reason you drop the temperature in your house or apartment below 60 degrees at night (his enclosure is naturally 5-10 degrees warmer than the surrounding home temperature), which would be freezing for you at night so I highly doubt it, but if for some reason it is colder than 60 in your home at night, you should only use a very low wattage Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) for a nighttime heat source in his enclosure. A CHE screws into a normal lamp but emits only heat and no light, so his sleep will not be disrupted. Any of those damn "beardie night bulbs" that are red, "infrared", black, purple, or "moonlight" colored are just unnecessary garbage. In addition, beardies see in full-color, just like us, so any colored bulbs at all, day or night can cause a host of issues with their eyes and their food hunting/visibility. Only bright white basking bulbs and UVB tubes during the day for at least 14 hours each day, then 10 hours of no light or heat.

Celestialdragons

Original Poster
It is not a 'light' heat bulb, so it is dark at night. I have the uvb and basking lights on a 14 on 10 off schedule. So she is on a regular schedule light wise. I just had it in the enclosure because is is so large I was afraid it wouldn't be warm enough with just the basking light. Ill turn it off at night. Seems it will be okay .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom