What length UVB should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelseyA

Hey guys. Maya is getting her big girl cage soon, it's ~48"x24"x18". I bought a 36" T8 ReptiSun bulb today but I'm having a heck of a time finding a fixture that length (odd length, apparently) that isn't a hardwire. I need it to just plug into an outlet.

Unfortunately, the cage is just under 48" long, so a 48" fixture wouldn't work. So, is there any way a 24" UVB would work in a 48" long cage, or would that not be enough UVB for her? We will be mounting it inside, on the middle of the ceiling. Thank you!

KelseyA

Original Poster
A 24" fixture would work? That's great, because I already have a 24" fixture from her smaller cage so I'll just need a different bulb. You just saved me some money. Thank you!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I misread =/. I thought you were talking about T5 lights. If it's a T8, it's a bit tougher to find the larger fixtures. With that size tank I'd invest in a T5 setup anyway though. You'll have better lighting that will last much longer.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I'd try to set it up in a way so it's sitting about 12'' over a basking area inside the tank while leaving other areas with little or no UVB by setting it off to one side and either forward or backward in the tank. That way you'll get a nice gradient with some intense UVB and areas with little UVB. You can use the T8 too and it will be fine at 6-8'' or so but won't provide very intense UVB even at that range relative to outdoor levels. I have the top off of my glass tank and the T5 sits overhead in an 18'' tall tank. It's about 12'' directly above part of the basking area but cheated to the front of the tank so the back part of the basking area has some lower UVB levels while still providing basking temps. It's all about creating as many options as you can in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom