Basking Spot Outside the Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
My significant other is now working from home and he likes to have Bert, my bearded dragon, out of the viv some of the time. I worry about him being out TOO much and not getting enough heat. I have noticed that when he is down on the floor he will sometimes find pools of sunlight to sit in. I'd like to set up a little basking area for him on the floor using a Zoomed lamp stand and an extra deep dome fixture I already have lying around. I have a few questions though.

I have laminate floors and I am worried about the heat actually damaging them, since they are basically just pressboard. Is there something I can put down on the floors to protect them under the lamp that won't also absorb/reflect too much heat for Bert to be safe on?

How long is it safe to let Bert be out and about without his UVB. I am planning to only provide him a heat lamp in this little set-up. He gets UVB inside his viv (Reptisun 10.0 T8) from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. How long can/should he be without UVB during the day?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
You could set up a raised platform so the heat is not too close to the floor. You could always get an MVB to set up then you wouldn't have to worry about how long he is out for. It would provide heat and uvb. I don't use MVB anymore but I heard mega ray is good? Anyone here can recommend which one?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a few of these set up around my house. I have two of them using 100w Megaray bulbs. One is about 10'' off the ground and the other is a little higher but has a climbing rock under it to provide a range between about 12-16'' from the bulb. The other is a halogen flood light producing a nice warm basking spot (usually 105-115 dead center with cooler areas around it) and no UVB. My dragon moves between them depending on what he's in the mood for. I suggest starting with one 100w MegaRay and setting it about 10-12'' above the ground and see how that goes. That will provide heat and UVB so it can be used all day if you wish. I have small fleece blankets I put down under the lights. They hold up well and are easy to clean in the wash.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I ordered a lamp stand and a 100W Mega-ray for him. Going to look for a piece of slate or something low to put on the floor to help weigh down the base of the lamp stand and give him something to bask on. Will keep an eye out for something to cover the floor with. Think just a towel would work?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure he won't, even if he doesn't always show it =). The blankets are super nice and hold up for a long time. And the proceeds all go to a great cause - a dragon rescue in Utah =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom