Sand in enclosure

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Sand in enclosure

Postby Crazyoscar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

My bearded dragon have sand in her enclosure and I have been reading how bad it is for them. She really likes to dig, should I take it out or keep it in because she likes it so much?
Crazyoscar
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Sand in enclosure

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm

The concern with sand is that if ingested, it can cause health issues. It can also harbor bacteria if it isn't cleaned thoroughly and often. I suggest using a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner or tile that is easy to clean and sanitize. Since she likes to dig, I would add some fleece scraps or small fleece blankets for her to dig around in. They are easy to clean in the washing machine and they are loopless so they won't get caught on her nails.
CooperDragon

Postby Crazyoscar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Could I put the fleece blankets with other clothes or by itself in the washer/dryer?
Crazyoscar
Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Crazyoscar wrote:Could I put the fleece blankets with other clothes or by itself in the washer/dryer?

Since the washing process is basically a sanitizing method, yes you can wash it with other clothes!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Crazyoscar » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:20 am

Thank you. I am putting tiles in sometime this week.
Crazyoscar
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 am

Yeah just be sure you use the dryer as well. The heat from the dryer will help kill bacteria from the wash cycle.
CooperDragon

Postby Drache613 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Moved by Moderator from Website Comments to Enclosures
Drache613

Postby charmander16 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 am

You can use sand, but it all depends on how it's done.

I have a separate dig box in my enclosure, and I feed our dragon in a no-escape dish (although we do sometimes put crickets loose in the enclosure as well).

If you keep the sand in a separate dig box and they aren't eating out of that area then it's not a problem. I like the dig box also because it's easy to remove, clean, change out, etc. I just use a 14"X10" plastic tub for the dig box and I'm building a wooden box to go around that for aesthetics. Sometimes our guy sleeps in the dig box.
charmander16
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures