Knitted blankets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In previous threads I've mentioned that I recently got a baby beardie. I've been wondering, if putting a knitted blanket or something in his tank would be okay? I'm mostly worried about his claws getting stuck, however I would say my knitting is tight? But if not, my friend has even tighter knitting and could possibly knit something for me.

I just want something he could possibly snuggle on during nighttime? He seems to like sleeping where he basks, so I want to give him more places to sleep if he feels like it.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Keep in mind that blankets don't really work for cold blooded animals. Blankets work for warm blooded animals by helping to retain the heat that their body generates, but cold blooded animals generate no heat, so blankets don't keep them warm.

If your beardie needs to stay warmer at night, then you should provide an external heat source.

That said, as long as its not below 60 degrees there shouldn't be a need for that, but even if it is like 70 in the tank, they probably prefer to be in the warmest spot possible. You can either use a ceramic heat bulb (on the thermostat) or a heating pad stuck to the SIDE of a glass tank.

The CHE is the better option, but both work.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
I can't knit, but I can crochet. I use the baby blanket yarn. It is quite soft and fluffy and there aren't any loose bits of yarn to get nails snagged in.

I made one of these for Spike since she loves to sleep on something soft and to be covered up.

19989470_10211355608385081_3115284969235553164_n.jpg

19989649_10211355606625037_8859168639662747019_n.jpg

My house doesn't get below 65 at night and I know it isn't going to keep her warm or anything, but it is quite soft and does make for an effortless transport back to the tank since she likes cuddles at night before bed time, too.

Enderdragon85458

Original Poster
Thank you all very much! The tank is a fine temperature at night, around 70, however I just wanted to give him more places if he wishes. I have a CHE, however I usually use it during the day (it's never hot enough, but seems to be now that I've made adjustments).

I will definitely keep the fleece and baby blanket yarn in mind. I can crochet, however I haven't in quite a while so I'll try to knot with some, and then if it doesn't work out well convert to crocheting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom