Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mealworm

As I have previously posted, I recently adopted a beardie from a family that didn't want to take care of it anymore, and the setup wasn't the best. It was okay, however there were some flaws that would cause some eventual problems and health issues as well as lighting and decor issues. I have been designing a setup with a basking platform, hide, bed and or dig box, and new uv lighting, (Reptisun 10.0) all the goodies. I do have a few questions to ask though so I know that I am doing everything right.

Will the basking bulb melt the UV tube? What would be an appropriate distance to position the UV so that he could soak it up while basking? And I will be putting the UV tube inside the tank, opinions?

What wood should I use to make the basking platform? I hear pine is dangerous to have in a bearded dragon tank, are there any other wood types that are known to be dangerous to bearded dragons? I am looking for something I could find a Home depot or an equivalent version of a common hardware type store?

Oscar is currently on repticarpet. What is you guys opinion of it, if you get like 3 of them and swap them out, cleaning the one with poop by throwing it in the washing machine, is it sanitary to use? Will using a washing machine (after removing the poop, of course) be harmful to the dragon? Also, I hear beardies slip on tile, is this true? What type of tile is the best to use in tanks and about how much does it cost? How sanitary is that sand mat product they sell? And are there any other substrates you guys would recommend that I didn't mention? (Other than newspaper and paper towels)

Thank you so much, I will post pics as soon as I am done!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Hello. The basking bulb shouldn't melt the UVB with the exception of whatever you are using to house the uvb. I have mine pretty close. I use one like this https://www.zenhydro.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-21-2-ft-1-lamp-w-nanotech-reflector-24-cs.html?utm_source=bing_shopping

That is for a T5 I don't know if you plan to use T5 or T8. I get bulbs here. http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/
If you use T5 I would put it 10-12 inches to highest point near basking and T8 6-8 inches. I would place it as close to basking as possible and make sure that it doesn't cover the whole enclosure so they have a place to get out of the uv when they need to. So you would buy a bulb that would cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure.

There are many things to use for basking. You can buy décor that are like trees. You can use large rocks or cleaned driftwood. You could stack bricks. If you want to use lumber I would just seal the wood with some water based clear sealant and be sure to let it air out for a couple of days.

You can use tile that has more of a rough surface and it shouldn't be a problem. They are pretty inexpensive.

Personally I would not use repticarpet or that sand mat. I use non-adhesive shelf liner. It's easy to clean, looks good and comes in a variety of designs/colors.

I don't know what your other plans are on things you're getting but I would be sure to buy digital thermometers, maybe a dimmer switch for the basking bulb, supplements, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom