Additional fluorescent lighting question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I'm setting up my new 16 sqft viv and I've got a halogen basking lamp, a 24" 10.0 T5 HO UV bulb, and I want to use my 18" T8 hood for a non UV sunlight providing bulb.

I do plan to put real plants into the viv (not sure how that's going to work out, but i'm going to try it).

So my question is, what bulb makes the most sense to rounding out a full spectrum of visible sunlight for the dragon?

Could I put in a grow light, and would that be good? For example: https://zoomed.com/t8-flora-sun-maximum-plant-growth/

I see that that bulb provides a lot more yellow and red range color than a Reptisun.

Then there is a TropicSun (which is also much cheaper): https://zoomed.com/t8-tropic-sun-5500k-daylight/

Also provides a broader spectrum of light.

Or should I just use a a standard fluorescent something like: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-54878-Replacement-F15T8-Fluorescent/dp/B0057ZR8AI/

Right now I'm leaning toward the Tropic Sun, which has a pretty broad range and is also half the price of the grow light.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or a good source for lights at a good price?

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm going with the TropicSun for now, because for one ting I can get it cheaper than even a typical bulb.

See here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3787

$5.00 with free shipping on $20+ orders, which is easy enough to hit. For $5, it's hard to pass up. The real question was between that and other more rd spectrum shifted lamps, but I'm going with this for now.

I may end up getting another 24" fixture to put a visible light lamp in, but for now I'll see what the 18" will do. If that works I'll stick with it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have used the tropicsun lamp in a snake cage, it worked fine. It isn't as bright as the T5 so depending on what you are trying to grow it might not be enough light. My succulents did not do so well under T8, while pothos and low light plants do fine.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Good info. I may end up going to something with a 24" Flora Sun. The Flora Sun looks kinda good in that it's actually broader and less intense than most grow lights. Most grow lights have a much larger red spike with less other color, so maybe that's a good option. I I've got one TropicSun now so I'll start with just giving that a try.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, after doing some more research now I'm leaning toward using an LED grow light.

I think I'm going to go with the TropicSun I already got for now, but I'll plan to replace it in about 6 months with an LED grow light. It looks like the LED grow lights produce a really nice spectrum distribution and of course have super long life.

But I'd love to hear more from you if you've looked into LEDs before.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Like everything else you get what you pay for.
I recommend the Facebook group reptile lighting for a great resource. My info may be a little dated but...

For plant growth the popular LEDS are going to only have blue and red diodes - of course no good for dragons.

Cheaper LEDS can have very poor color spectrum, but I think that CREE and some of other the higher end brands have some very good daylight LEDs

I have used a few - I have a flood light for the snake plant in my dragons cage. It does well at about 10-12" away but has a barrow effective area. I have a cheep ceiling LED can for a snake cage that I wouldn't recommend - the driver burn up... but it was enough to keep the carex grass going and the snake would bask under it. I also have another cheep LED (exterior flood) over my fish tank. My plants don't seem to do as well as they did with a flourecent tube.

As far as "best light" metal hallaides will probably blow and tube or led out of the water for the dragon and the plants.... but they take more savvy with wiring up fixtures and are not very cheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom