Basking temperature problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a zoomed 40 gallon tank kit and the 150w basking bulb doesn't emit enough heat on the basking spot. The highest it goes is 88 degrees Fahrenheit and I'm using a laser temperature check. This is the second day it's been on and it's at an 86. I don't know what to do other than to get a new bulb.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How far is the basking globe from the basking spot ?

How are you measuring the temperatures (exactly) ?

If you using a digital thermometer (like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Temperature-Gauge-Probe-Sensor-50-C-TO-110-C-Range/262976481511?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Ddff19a163ad3456c88498d345b14014f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D152552282270 ) and are sure of the temperatures, then try '
>> raising the basking spot so it is closer to the basking bulb
or
>> try positioning the basking globe closer to the basking spot ( you are not obligated to sit your lights ontop of a mesh lid).

If you can't get within cooee of a basking spot temperature of 40-43 degCelsius , consider replacing the existing basking globe with a domestic (indoor/outdoor) par38 colourless incandescent or halogen spot globe (with a higher wattage, these have the following advantages
> cheaper
> dimmable
> can be bought just about everywhere (that sells light globes and light fittings)
> they are very durable.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Littlelizardstarman":fjf9nh8x said:
It's a zoomed basking bulb, that's all it says on the box

Can you take a photo of your setup and upload it on here? That way we can see what is going on with your lighting setup :) Also listen to kingofnobbys great suggestions :D

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
150w should be way more than enough to get that basking temp correct. I only use a 65w indoor halogen bulb for both my enclosures and my beardies are plenty toasty, but they bask on a tall perch about halfway up the enclosure.

How close are you holding the temp gauge to the surface?
I agree photos would also help

Littlelizardstarman

Original Poster
idk how to upload pictures on there through my phone. The basking spot is 5 inches away from the bulb and I'm using my dads temperature gauge, it's a laser pointer

Littlelizardstarman

Original Poster
I solved the problem, let this be the seventh time I've had to reposition Starman's basking log and the millionth time I had to check the temperature. It's at a 95-96 Fahrenheit. Thanks for all that have suggestions

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were you able to get the basking temperatures up & you are using a digital probe or a temp gun
to measure them?
To post & Upload pictures, just click on the XIMG funcion here in the message box to upload your pictures. Then you can just copy/paste them onto your message response.
Starman is a great name, by the way! :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom