winter brumation in outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, sorry for posting about skinks so much i know this is a beardie site but it's just really hard to get a response on bluetongueskink.org its just not as an active site as it used to be, any way im picking up a bobtail/shingleback skink this weekend from an expo in perth, western australia and i just want to confirm my outdoor set up will be okay over winter, any way this is the plan for the outdoor enclosure, i already have the frame done but need to make the sheltered half water proof and warm, was planning on putting bird net over the sunny half with deep layer of wood chips and tipuana leaf litter and tin and wood on the sheltered side with some hay and tipuana leaf litter from my front yard to keep it warm, a blue tongue skink guy from youtube suggested i wouldn't need additional heat because they occur naturally in my area and he said if there is too much additional heat that the lizard will keep using his fat reserves in the winter? or something like that. it only gets 6-10 degrees absolute minimum here any way. the main issue will be keeping the undercover side completely dry so the hay doesn't go moldy. will have a ceramic tile unerlay on the under side so he can't dig out. got some pvc pipes and a large pasta dish which is broken in the corner (will tape the sharp edges over) and a fake exo terror hide rock, so got the hiding spots under control. Got a couple of bricks, tiles and a nice flat rock for basking on aswell, also got a MASSIVE log, the bricks wont get too hot will they? it only gets like 33-37 degrees max in summer here and figured he would move off if he got too hot anyway, unless he can't sense heat on his belly but i thought that was only beardies? over all the enclosure is about 1.5 m wide and 2.5 m long. sorry for the essay but how does that sound? thanks tonnes! :mrgreen: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom