Suggestions on UVA Light/ Bulbs burning out too fast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiloCRuss

Hello everyone!!

I have a beardie that is 5 years old that i raised as a baby and I am having issues with UVA bulbs. I always used Zoo Meds 100W halogen in my 40 gallon for years but these past few months they have been burning out/ going out after 1 to 2 weeks of use! I don't know what the deal is with that companies production but it has gone downhill very steeply. I also tried ExoTerra brand and had the same issues and those are the brand's that are sold at local pet stores. I have heard lots of people use house bulbs so I have looked at walmart and target and they are all mostly soft white and don't get very hot since they are usually low wattage. So does anyone here have good suggestions on what kind of bulb/brand to use that achieves the right temps I need for an adult beardie? Thanks for reading and your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, have you tried a nice bright halogen flood light? They work really well & usually last quite awhile. It is very frustrating when lights prematurely go out.
Just buy a regular halogen from home depot, or lowes. A lot of those so called specialized reptile UVA bulbs are coated with neodymium anyway, which are not all that bright.
Which UVB do you use?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
UVA / neodymium basking globes are usually rubbish and very unstable , a waste of money.

Switch to either
>> a 26W 10%VB compact , plenty of UVA & UVB from good quality compacts made by Arcadia , Exo Terra or Zoo Med. These are fine in small rearing tubs / vivs up to 140L.
>> a T8 10-12%UVB tube.
>> a T5HO 10-12%UVB tube.
AND replace the UVA / neodymium globe with a par38 colorless incandescent or halogen globe for heat and visible light only.

Or switch to a MVB for an all in one solution (heat+light+UVA+UVB) but bare in mind it is very difficult to setup an MVB to have proper temperatures and good levels of UV all at the same time and optimised at the basking spot , will end up with UV too low at the basking spot , and the UV beam is very focused in a very small volume .

ShiloCRuss

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your suggestions! I will try to find a nice halogen bulb from lowes and try that out! I have a 24" reptisun 10 tube light as UVB so I have that covered and those have lasted very long periods of time and I replace them after 6-8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom