Finding isopods and springtails

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostBeast

I unsuccessfully went hunting for some isopods and springtails in the woods behind my house. I'm trying to get a bioactive enclosure going. Anyone know of any reliable, cheap places I could buy some that would survive in a BD enclosure? Thanks

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
ah, the classic rolly-polly. I usually find these guys under rocks or wet ground. Lizarto loved those, she would go crazy over these guys. :)

MostBeast

Original Poster
BeardieLover232":2engs18v said:
ah, the classic rolly-polly. I usually find these guys under rocks or wet ground. Lizarto loved those, she would go crazy over these guys. :)

Wait, am I really just looking for rolly pollies? I knew they were isopods, but I thought I needed something else..

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
so I know I'm late, but you do need springtails too they're very beneficial if you want to catch them the best way is with this trap

take a small deli container peel off the 3 micron filter on a vented lid put a wet paper towl in the bottom then put a couple peaces of any store bought mushroom put the lid back on without the 3 micron filter and take it to the spot you found the springs place the container on the ground and cover with some leaf litter in you yard the wait a few days.

Now for Isopods they're very easy to catch just cut a potato in half hollow out the inside of both put in a few leaves then put a rubber band over it to keep it together, wait a couple days and some should be in there

Also, please don't put them in straight away keep them in a container (Provided down below on the best proper setup) for a few weeks maybe 3 just so they can all breed become more established and get out any toxins they may have had before you took them in.

Springtails: get a large tall container fill it up with about 1 inch of water then feel it up half way with a charcoal chunks. Springtails love charcoal they love to hang around it reproduce on it etc.
Feed them grains of un-cooked rice they don't actually eat the rice itself but the mold that grows on the rice (They eat mold which is why you want them in your enclosure)

Isopods: Get a container fill it up with your enclosures substrate then put them in, feed them potatoes and leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom