Viv set up suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori

I am thinking about getting a new bearded dragon soon and i want the best for them so im going to go over my current viv set up (ive had bearded dragons before) and ask for any suggestions.

Lights:
ZooMed 150 watt 120 voltage basking/heat light
Exo-terra 50 watt 120 voltage night glo light
i need a new day time light (cooler side) any suggestions? max my lamp can hold is 150 watts

Tank:
20 gal tank (i have a 55 for when they get older and bigger)
I have a heating pad but i dont use it often mostly because its hot enough without it and i dont want to burn them (i bought it for my 55 tank because it is tall and sometimes would have trouble heating the sand ((that i have gotten rid of)) on the bottom of the tank)
Large plastic log/stick that my past beardies loved to climb
a still water dish (my past beardie would only drink still water)
a food dish
a hide away hut
i need to get a new thermometer (any suggestions?)

Substrate:
i honestly have no idea. my past bearded dragon died of impaction because i used that horrible calci sand (rip rigatoni) i read that i can mix 50/50 play sand and topsoil? i love using the loose substrates because with my first bearded dragon i used reptile carpet and i absolutely hated it. when she got big i moved her to the 55 gal and put the calci sand in but i never had problems with her eating it (probably because she grew up on mats and thought she couldnt eat it). i also thought about using reptile bedding (no cedar and i think its also no spruce but i may be wrong. also no walnut shells) like what they use for snakes but i cant find much about it and i really dont want to go through another impaction. I was thinking about using paper towls (i read you can do that?? is that right??) then when theyre old enough to use loose substrate. any suggestions?? any/all replies are greatly appreciated.

jayce82

Juvie Member
well for one get rid of the nighttime go light, they do not need that plus it interiors their sleep. secondly why even bother with the 20 gallon, since changing enclosures usually stresses them out just let him grow up in the big 55 gallon. and lastly I use tile as my substrate, I would highly suggest nothing loose, I mean you've already had compaction issues so why do that to another beardie?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would start with the 55g and move to something wider when they become an adult. That will allow you to build a better heat gradient and use a much better UVB light. I would use a halogen flood light in a dome fixture hooked to a lamp dimmer or dimming thermostat to fine tune the temps so you can get 100-110 basking surface temps and 75-80 cool side temps. I would use an IR temp gun or a couple of digital thermometers with a probe for each side to keep an eye on temps.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/
https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK

For UVB I'd use a 22'' T5 UVB tube in a fixture w/reflector mounted 12'' over the top of the basking area for excellent output.

For substrate I'd use something solid and easy to clean and keep sanitary. Something like non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic tile. If you want to go the route of repti carpet I'd use fleece instead. It tends to hold up better in the wash and is also loopless so it won't get caught up on nails.

Overnight you don't need any additional heat unless the tank temps drop below 65 or so. If they do, Id use a ceramic heat emitter or a MegaRay heat projector which will produce some heat but no visible light. You'd only need enough power to bump the temps into the low 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom