Tank set up question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never caught my beardie basking or even wanting to sit under the lights. He really loves the hammock that's in there, but it's on the cool side. Would you suggest moving the hammock under the lights and the rock and log on the cool side? I know basking is good for them, but I never catch him under he lights. He eats and goes back up on the hammock. Is this ok and normal or change my tank around?

joef

Hatchling Member
I would try moving it and see if he stays on the hammock. I have a hammok in my beardies cage and he likes to lay under it. If you move the hammock to the warm side and he doesn't lay on it anymore, then try a different bulb for your basking light. I read somewhere quite a while ago that said that you should put the hammock on the warm side, but I don't know how credible that source is. I do it thought and it seems to work well.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It could be that he loves his hammock or his basking area is too hot.
I'd try moving it over first, if he ditches, may be too hot for him

Eragon2017

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. The cool side of the tank with the lights on is about 80-85 and the warm side is about 100. I will try to move the hammock to the other side and see what he does.

jayce82

Juvie Member
his basking spot has to be outrageous hot if the air temp is 100. most times when air temp is 100 basking is around 120. what are you checking temps with?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are you using to measure the temperatures with, a digital probe or a temp gun?
The warm side really should only be in a range of 78-82F with a basking spot of a range of 95-110. The ambient temperatures in the tank, shouldn't exceed 85 max or otherwise they can become heat stressed & not be able to cool off.
What sized tank is he in? Please post pictures of your tank setup so we can see the light placement.
Which UVB lights do you currently have for him?

Tracie

Eragon2017

Original Poster
90404-2501756591.jpg

Here is his tank. It's night so the lights are out. It's a 45 gallon. I followed the set up recommended on here. There is an Indoor/Outdoor Digital temp reader on the backside of the basking area and the other one is on the side of the tank on the cool side. The UVB light is the one that is recommended from this site. A reptisun 10.0 UVB. Have a CHE for night heat and a 100w bulb for the basking light. Is that to high for a 45 gallon? I've done most of my research for set up and everything needed from this site. Please help me out for proper care for this guy. I don't wanna stress him out. I wanna do what's right for him. If I messed up somewhere please tell me.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I use a 40g breeder (36x18x18) for both my dragons and only use a 65w in one and a 75w in the other to get a basking temp of about 108F for both dragons, with a gradient, but my basking area is higher, about halfway up the tank.
A 100w may be too hot, but your basking spot is lower. Are you getting accurate temperature measurements?

The only other immediate comment I have is regarding your UV light.
It is recommended this be mounted to be directly above the dragon, i.e not mounted on the side of the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom