Is My Enclosure all Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funmom

I'm posting photos of the current enclosure I have my beardie Draco in. I'm wondering if I have the set up all wrong. I have a standard light bulb 72W Halogen and heat light on top of tank and a UVB light I think it said 15W reptisun inside. I do not have any hides for Draco. We just built him a new, much bigger enclosure so I want to have the correct set-up before we move him. The tank he is in is a 55 Gal. He is moving into a 5' x 2 1/2' x 16' High. I'm planning on putting the UVB bulb inside again and the other lights on top. I have a thermometer that reads hot side and temp in room. I bought the heat emitter cause his tank never gets to 100 degrees. Usually 95F. 70's at night. The new wooden enclosure I'm hoping will get warmer. Please let me know if my lights are all on one side, does he need a hide, and should the UVB have some type of reflector on it so it doenst blind him?
55003-1605313029.jpg
55003-1691625421.jpg

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
The new enclosure is a great size, nice and roomy.

I would not use sand as the substrate in the new enclosure and all lights should be directly overhead, not on any of the walls.
The UVB light might, or might not, need a reflector depending on if it is inside, outside, through screen etc. Because of the height of your new enclosure I would go with a T5 10.0 tube and just put it on top.

I would add a hide so the BD can get out of the light, if desired, and it will also provide a safe place and a place to sleep.

funmom

Original Poster
Yes we put vinyl down in the new one-no more sand! Someone had said put the UVB inside so he would get better absorption. I was going to buy the T10.0 so your saying its ok to put on top?
DO all the lights go on same side? What type of thermometer do you think I will need?

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
A T8 10.0 should probably go inside and very close to the BD. A T5 10.0 would work on top of screen as long as the BD can get +/-10" from the bulb. The T5 10.0 is probably the UVB bulb of choice for many here.

You should try to get the UVB and basking light as close as possible so while basking the BD is also getting UVB. If other parts of the enclosure are too cold you can add a second basking light for heat.

I don't have any interior thermometers, I use an IR temperature gun to spot check when necessary.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tube bulb you have mounted on the inside, it is a Reptisun 10 currently or are you getting one?
Any of the T8 tube bulbs should be mounted on the inside of the tank, underneath of the screen & directly overhead to be 6-8 inches from him.
If you get a T5 high output tube bulb, you can place it on top of the screen.
How is your dragon doing?

Tracie

funmom

Original Poster
Drache613":1fq40j3k said:
Hello,

The tube bulb you have mounted on the inside, it is a Reptisun 10 currently or are you getting one?
Any of the T8 tube bulbs should be mounted on the inside of the tank, underneath of the screen & directly overhead to be 6-8 inches from him.
If you get a T5 high output tube bulb, you can place it on top of the screen.
How is your dragon doing?

Tracie
I thought i put a Reptisun in there. It doesnt say it on it but it says 15watt. The other day he was jumping up to it and I was scared he was going to burn himself so if I can mount it outside the tank that would be great. If i can make him an area tall enough to bask then I'd rather do it on outside of tank. He got stressed just moving him out of the room for 2 days to finish the floor so we thought we would move him in his glass tank and leave him in it for a week then move him to his new enclosure so he wont stress as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom