Would like a little more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyIggs

So I need to get the lighting corrected for my beardie.
I've read the information and multiple lighting threads already, but I really don't seem to understand all the information unless it's to a tee.

So I have a couple of extra questions to hopefully fill in the blanks.
I understand it seems the best choice for UVB would be Reptisun 10.0 T5 (or TF HO?).
But is there a specific wattage?
Can someone provide a picture in a 40g breeder for positioning? Or maybe explain the correct positioning of this UVB light better? Picture definitely preferred.

And I wasn't aware you can use just a regular halogen bulb for basking.
So can anyone provide maybe a short list of great bulbs to use with wattage and how to place it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can definitely help with this. A T5 (thinner, more modern tube than the T8) provides excellent output. Optimal output is at about 12'' from the bulb (or around 10'' or so through a mesh top, depending on the mesh). This should sit over the basking area alongside the basking bulb which produces heat and bright white light. In combination they more closely replicate natural sunlight which is the goal. You want the most intense UVB and the warmest temperatures over the basking area (100-110f is a good target range) and less UVB (shade, 75-80f or so) and cooler temps on the other side of the tank. The wattage difference has to do with the length of the bulb. In my opinion a 22'' bulb works in most cases because that will cast a wide enough beam for a dragon to bask evenly. This is an excellent option http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

I use a halogen flood light as a basking light because I've found that they are durable, bright, produce adequate heat, and they handle dimmers well. I have a 90w GE PAR38 halogen flood light in my setup. You may find that a different wattage is appropriate in your setup though. It comes down to the temperature measurements you get across the tank. You want to shoot for the ranges I described above. You can raise/lower the basking light on an adjustable stand, or hook it to a manual lamp dimmer to cut some power (get the temps close first, this should just be for fine tuning), or you can get a programmable dimming thermostat to automate the lighting output.

Here is a photo of my setup. It works well for me but isn't the only good answer. There are lots of great ways to configure a setup as long as you have an appropriate heat and UVB gradient. I have a basking light over the left side of the tank and a nighttime ceramic heat emitter on the right side. They are hooked to a programmable dimming thermostat (Herpstat2) that controls the output to maintain a temperature range. I have an Arcadia T5 across the top of the tank.

76248-8383156387.jpg

IggyIggs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":21mlervl said:
I can definitely help with this. A T5 (thinner, more modern tube than the T8) provides excellent output. Optimal output is at about 12'' from the bulb (or around 10'' or so through a mesh top, depending on the mesh). This should sit over the basking area alongside the basking bulb which produces heat and bright white light. In combination they more closely replicate natural sunlight which is the goal. You want the most intense UVB and the warmest temperatures over the basking area (100-110f is a good target range) and less UVB (shade, 75-80f or so) and cooler temps on the other side of the tank. The wattage difference has to do with the length of the bulb. In my opinion a 22'' bulb works in most cases because that will cast a wide enough beam for a dragon to bask evenly. This is an excellent option http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

I use a halogen flood light as a basking light because I've found that they are durable, bright, produce adequate heat, and they handle dimmers well. I have a 90w GE PAR38 halogen flood light in my setup. You may find that a different wattage is appropriate in your setup though. It comes down to the temperature measurements you get across the tank. You want to shoot for the ranges I described above. You can raise/lower the basking light on an adjustable stand, or hook it to a manual lamp dimmer to cut some power (get the temps close first, this should just be for fine tuning), or you can get a programmable dimming thermostat to automate the lighting output.

Here is a photo of my setup. It works well for me but isn't the only good answer. There are lots of great ways to configure a setup as long as you have an appropriate heat and UVB gradient. I have a basking light over the left side of the tank and a nighttime ceramic heat emitter on the right side. They are hooked to a programmable dimming thermostat (Herpstat2) that controls the output to maintain a temperature range. I have an Arcadia T5 across the top of the tank.

76248-8383156387.jpg

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so so much!
May I ask which tank you are using?

IggyIggs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3qdpu1wv said:
It's an Exo Terra 36x18x18''.

Ty! I haven't decided on the tank yet because I am looking for the largest size on the best deal. Then gonna size the uvb light and fixture to the size. Just because waiting patiently or as patiently as I can for payday.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I find mine too small for an adult with any reasonable energy level, especially my current dragon who loses his mind when he's stuck in there for any length. I have three basking spots around the house and he has free range when we're home which keeps him somewhat satiated. I'd say your best bet for size and affordability is to build your own. I'd go with at least 4'x2'x2' but build bigger if you can. This is a good general walkthrough to follow https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html You'll wind up with a lot more space for your buck vs buying a commercial solution.

IggyIggs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3b0ykici said:
I find mine too small for an adult with any reasonable energy level, especially my current dragon who loses his mind when he's stuck in there for any length. I have three basking spots around the house and he has free range when we're home which keeps him somewhat satiated. I'd say your best bet for size and affordability is to build your own. I'd go with at least 4'x2'x2' but build bigger if you can. This is a good general walkthrough to follow https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html You'll wind up with a lot more space for your buck vs buying a commercial solution.

I found a 55g aquarium used for 40$ so I am planning to build the enclosure with that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks good so far. I like the wooden basking spots. I would get a reflector for that fixture and set it directly overhead above the basking area rather than having it on the wall. That way it will provide the best possible output. Ideally you'd want to pick up a T5 UVB setup that I mentioned earlier, but the T8 with a reflector will do for now if it's within about 6-8'' of the basking spot.

How is your temperature gradient? You may want to pick up a couple of digital thermometers so you can monitor the cool side and basking surfaces at a glance. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom