Looking for Solarmeter Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tested a ReptiSun in over a year (compact and T8). Is there something specific you'd like me to test out?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
New bulbs arrived today. Did some testing and the results were interesting...

In the slimline fixture, the T8 doesn't really cut it even at 6''.
76248-1418777672.jpg

For reference, this is my test for the T8 a few years ago.
76248-9432289316.jpg

The ZooMed hood shipped with a 5.0 T5 bulb so I tested it just to have some numbers for it. Totally inadequate for a dragon except at about 6'' with no screen. Probably not a great idea.
76248-7328112703.jpg

Here is the 10.0 T5. I'd say not bad, not great.
76248-5109533737.jpg

For reference I tested my Arcadia 12% with the light your reptiles fixture that I'm always going on about in posts. Bought this bulb in July 2014 and it has about 2 years of regular use on it. Even with age it blows the doors off of that ReptiSun.
76248-5721614854.jpg

What are your thoughts on this? Are there any other tests you'd like me to do with these bulbs?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks for your data Cooper. I'll think on them some more, i'm still waking up hah.

How long did you have them on for?

The readings aren't as low as I was worried them might be, so that's good at least. I picked up a T5 10.0 as well, should get her today or Monday and I'll give it a spin too.

The T8 and the 5.0 should be ok for a "shade" method but yeah you won't be getting a nice sunbeam from them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I didn't have them on for too long. Maybe 20 minutes before I started reading from them. Might get different readings after some burn in time but I'm not sure. Didn't want to just leave them running in the dining room for a long time. I will if it would be helpful though.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Nah, not sure when they are considered fully warmed up (it can effect the performance of the phosphor). 20mins seems reasonable.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I didn't do any in-depth testing but I know the 10.0 T5 was meant to be around 10-12" away and I was getting 1.7 ( no obstruction and brand new from all 4 I just bought) and I will be very happy when the arcadia gets here in the mail...

I also had a bulb that was 2 months old (usage) that I bought last summer. The reading was about the same as well.

I used with a reflector as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I haven't tested any Reptisun 10 bulbs but a friend of mine got a meter & tested hers & got very poor readings on brand new lights!
I have Arcadia D3 12% T5 tubes that have higher readings, also.
I was actually toying with the idea of getting a Reptisun 10 to test it after she told me that.
I need to test our tubes again, it's time. We use both the 6.2 & the 6.5.
I am going to contact Frances to see what's going on.
It's a shame, because now there is only 1 brand of light I feel confident recommending right now. This is definitely frustrating!

Tracie

cmoo

This is very valuable data. Looks like I need to switch out my brand new reptisun bulbs for arcadias. Now to research other uses for the collection of unusable bulbs I've amassed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom