Excavator clay alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantler

Hello, My first post here or any major forum for that matter... Anyways I'm a very experienced beardie/reptile keeper and have been working with them for almost a decade now. I know there are thousands of different views and opinions on how to care for them, as such I am not interested in starting any debates /arguments as to what's right or wrong and simply will not entertain it. With all that said I am looking to redo/overhual my beardies (Howard) current 75 gallon tank. I have tried many substrates for my different desert reptiles and have always found my way back to premium play sand from Lowes or home depot. But as of recently I have been on a mission to better replicate the natural environment of all my reptiles. I have read alot about bio active substrates but I am not ready to take that plunge yet. For now I plan on testing out a couple different "desert" mixes to find what I and my critters like best. Luckily I have a few enclosures at my disposal to test on. (2 leos, uromastyx and howard) Going to start with the basic play sand, coco fiber, top soil, slate tiles/stone slabs and the non "reptile specific" version of excavator clay. I Haven't purchased "reptile substrates" from pet stores in years. I always just look at the ingredients of whatever substrate I'm interested in at the pet store and buy the exact stuff elsewhere for a fraction of the price. But after searching for about a week now I can't seem to find what zoo meds excavator clay consists of and it's driving me nuts. so much so that I had to make my first forum account just to figure it out. I know someone on here should atleast have a good idea as to what it is/consists of. My local nursery sells natural red goergia clay but can't find anything on it for reptiles. Sorry for the long post but I figured for my first post some backstory was needed.

TLDR: what does zoo meds excavator consist of so I can make it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom