Which size exo terra tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattps81

Any suggestions on which size exo-terra tank I should get. I'm debating against the 36x18x18 or the 36x18x24. Is the extra height a benefit? I will probably need a higher watt basking light?

I'm planning on getting a baby in a few months and want to have it all ready to go!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to see you're doing your homework ahead of time. That will make a big difference. I would go with the largest enclosure you can. The extra height will allow for plenty of climbing room while still giving enough room for proper lighting. Out of the Exo Terra line I'd get the 24'' tall but you can probably build one larger more cheaply. 4'x2'x2' is usually the minimum size recommended for an adult dragon. I'd build it even a bit higher if possible. Modern T5 lighting can sit about 12'' above the basking area and still provide great UVB exposure. This is a popular model to build https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html

You'll need to play around with different wattages and see which one provides the best temperature gradient. You can either try adjusting the height of the light or use a lamp dimmer or dimming thermostat to control the output. I use a 90w GE PAR38 halogen flood light and it works well at greater distances. Having accurate measurements on the basking surface and cool sides is important for adjusting the lighting properly.

You may also want to get a roach colony started ahead of time so it's ready to go when you get your dragon. Having a renewable source of bugs is really helpful when they hit a growth spurt and start eating a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom