Please help, lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I have a reptisun 10.0 t8, only just found out there are two types of reptisun 10.0. My fixture is mounted inside the tank, so there's only 12.5" from bulb to floor, is there any reason for me to change to the t5. I heard t5 Is better, but if that's the case, why is it cheaper than the t8 on petco.com? Significantly cheaper

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The T8 has an optimal output at 6-8'' while the T5 has an optimal (and better) output at 12-14''. This is measured to the basking area. I usually recommend going with a T5 if you have 12'' of overhead space to mount it in because they do a better job of simulating sunlight levels of UVB and they last longer than a T8. It's unusual that a T5 is cheaper but keep in mind you also need a T5 fixture for the bulb to run properly. Can you post a link to the one you're looking at?

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I only have 6 in from bulb to basking area, plus it's mounted inside the tank. I was told that is good, but when it's time to replace it I will goo with T5. and fixture.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well guess I'll just stick with what I have then cuz I have no intentions of changing anything around that would effect the 6 in

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Could I get your thoughts on hydration? Baths per week, dripping water on his nose with a feeding syringe? I don't keep a water dish due to bacteria/ humidity

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I only offer baths to Darwin when he gets stinky but he likes baths so it isn't a stressful thing. Some don't like baths so I would keep them to a minimum in that case. I offer some water and probiotics from a plastic syringe every day but he has hydration/digestion issues. It doesn't hurt to offer water but if he doesn't lick it up I don't force it. It's just to make it available if he wants it.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That was kinda my thought with the dripping water thing. But it seems the consensus is baths aren't necessary. A lot of people from "bearded dragon newbies" on Facebook say baths are good, but I prefer this site for information more

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Baths are a good opportunity for them to drink if they want to, but you can achieve the same thing by dripping water on their nose. In my opinion it isn't worth pushing baths if they are stressful to your dragon but I do like to offer them when they get stinky. I don't think they're harmful if you offer them more frequently and they aren't stressful. Just needs to be taken on a case by case basis.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I can chime in on the hydration a little. Mine HATES baths. She will tolerate a short soak and then she's DONE. Like clawing up my arm, done. Every now and again she'll drink water dropped on her nose, but her dubia roaches are super hydrated. When she bites into them they explode like a gushers candy so I think she gets most of her hydration from that and just doesn't want anything else.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I actually don't even use the cricket quenchers at all! They get a rotation of yellow squash, leftover greens, butternut squash, carrots, and orange slices. They go crazy over the yellow squash and orange slices so I tend to do that more so. They are so hydrated that I have to keep paper towels in the bottom of their tub. When Maggie bites down they literally squirt juice everywhere.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I feed my dry roach chow mixed with orange juice, I serve it at an oatmeal consistency. I don't give them fruit or veggies very often. The roaches get the greens that are getting too old to feed to the dragons. The roachea like the orange flavored food...they eat a lot of it!!

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CHOW? But doesn't that mean the dragon is getting all that orange juice too? And I thought Curtis based things should be limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom