is this light good for my bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellaqt

88851-7746266443.jpg

i had a coiled bulb, but after someone said that they are bad and after a bit of research, i replaced the bulb with this. some recommended me on getting the reptisun t5, but at the moment, i am low on funds as it is, and was wondering if the light i have now will do?

thanks!

also since i found out about the coil bulb, i had it turned off for about a day or two. Then after changing the bulb, instantly, my bearded dragon; sage, he's been moving around more, eating more, pooping often, and no more stress marks (or barely). and maybe this light is good?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. That is just a basking bulb. If you are talking about uvb then you need a reptisun 10.0 tube light. That is a good basking bulb. I've used them before.

hellaqt

Original Poster
destiny1998":he6s7tc8 said:
Hi. That is just a basking bulb. If you are talking about uvb then you need a reptisun 10.0 tube light. That is a good basking bulb. I've used them before.

it says uva on it

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
hellaqt":2r32q38k said:
destiny1998":2r32q38k said:

it says uva on it
UVB is a bulb that helps the metabolize the vitamins and nutrients in their food. It mimics the suns rays. UVA allows them to see in color and provides heat for digestion. UVB and UVA work together to keep our little friends happy and healthy but, UVB is the most critical rays that the need.

hellaqt

Original Poster
Gormagon":1k21yhcg said:
hellaqt":1k21yhcg said:
destiny1998":1k21yhcg said:

it says uva on it
UVB is a bulb that helps the metabolize the vitamins and nutrients in their food. It mimics the suns rays. UVA allows them to see in color and provides heat for digestion. UVB and UVA work together to keep our little friends happy and healthy but, UVB is the most critical rays that the need.

oh okay, yeah i just bought a nnew light for him one that says uvb and hopefully that is good because it was 40 bucks and its one of those long lights. he's still as active and eating and drinking so im thinking he should be healthy

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Just for clarity, he needs both bulbs. The long tube gives him the UVB and the basking bulb gives him heat. They should be positioned in such a way that he can get within the required distances of both bulbs at the same time.

How close he needs to get to the heat bulb will depend on the temperature and his age.

How close he needs to be to the UVB tube depends on what type it is (T8 or T5HO) and whether you have a reflector and whether it is mounted inside the vivarium or if there is screen between him and the bulb.

Enderess

Which type of light did you buy? (What brand, type, etc.) Just wondering.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Enderess

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I advise to steer clear of Neodymium coated basking globes , they are very poor basking globes and rarely robust , and tend to dye quick and their performance regarding UVA output is questionable.

Better off with domestic par38 colourless incandescent or halogen spotglobe + a T5HO 10-12%UVB tube in a reflector hood (positioned so one end is near the basking globe and gives about 190 microW UVB / sqcm at the basking spot) while the basking spot is running at NO HOTTER THAN 43 degC.

see the guidance in my cheatsheet :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom