New set up for Marv...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieDyd1

Okay... So... We got a new tank for Marvin. Its a 40 gal. Breeder and doesnt have much inside. He has a 100w solar bright mvb basking light that sits over the hot side of the cage and a Zilla desert 50 florescent UVB bulb acoss the whole setup. We have paper towels laid for now until we get the reptile carpet. We got a new probe thermometer, and have it set like... right beside his basking spot. At this point I should probably add that his set up is right in front of the window and extra light and heat are provided on sunny days. However, the temp on the basking spot is only getting as high as like 89 during the day, and 85 in the evening, lights out at night. Now... I know that these temps are not warm enough and thats what Im needing help with. Should we be giving him a higher platform to bask on or be looking for a stronger basking bulb. The enclosure that we had before was shorter, and the basking temp was just right... with the change in the size, I just dont want him ti be uncomfortable.

His mood, and energy have not changed a bit. But I dont like being cold, and I dont want him to be either... If I feel comfortable in my home, he should feel comfortable in his... Any advice?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You can get one of those halogen flood lights and set it up to get more heat across the whole tank. They'll give off a good amount of heat and are cheaper than the "reptile only" bulbs.

KatieDyd1

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":1a0msnzd said:
You can get one of those halogen flood lights and set it up to get more heat across the whole tank. They'll give off a good amount of heat and are cheaper than the "reptile only" bulbs.

My problem isnt so much across the whole tank. Its only on one side of the tank. The hot side of the tank isnt grtting warm enough. I dont eant to make the whole tank a hotspot because then he will have no where to go to cool down. Im trying to decide if I should get a new light are a higher basking spot.

KatieDyd1

Original Poster
JessPets":348itjtg said:
How close is your bulb right now?

The light is about 11-12 inches away from the basking light. Seems a little much to me, thats why Im trying to figure out if I should get him a higher sitting basking rock/log or if I should get a hotter light. As it stands right now, the light is sitting on the lid to the cage and that is kind of what deters me from getting a hotter light. I dont want the lid to get too hot because I have a 6 year old that likes to get him out of the cage.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
if concerns stem from little ones getting at it then you should raise the basking spot itself... otherwise grab a stronger lamp and use a dimmer to control the temperature.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could also put the lamp on an adjustable stand so it sits above the top which will keep it from getting so hot. I've also found that putting foil around the edges of the fixture helps to shield (especially plastic) pieces from the high heat of the lamp.

KatieDyd1

Original Poster
CooperDragon":23gqnc4l said:
You could also put the lamp on an adjustable stand so it sits above the top which will keep it from getting so hot. I've also found that putting foil around the edges of the fixture helps to shield (especially plastic) pieces from the high heat of the lamp.

We got him a higher basking spot... yay!!! He keeps climbing down off of is... boo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom