Is my set up ok for my new Bearded Dragon Toothless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
88673-9627727470.jpg

I bought a bearded Dragon for my son about 3 weeks ago from Petsmart. We named him Toothless. I am in love with this little guy. I am really grateful for this website and the information it provides. Petsmart sent me home with a very basic bearded dragon 20 gallon tank setup and it was not appropriate for the otimal health and well being of my new beardie. I know that Petsmarts often sell young, sickly dragons but so far I think mine seems to be doing well without any obvious signs of active parasites (fingers crossed).

I bath him daily, hold him, feed him calci worms, dubai roaches, crickets, his staple foods, and supplement him with multi vitamins and calcium After putting the poor guy in 3 different sized tanks, used several different light fixtures and bulbs, and changed around his habitat and made a homemade basking platform for him too. I originally bought a 20 gallon bearded dragon kit but after research and these boards I decided on a 65 gallon tank and of course had to accommodate for such.

He has stress marks and doesn't seem as adjusted to this tank as he was when I had him in the smaller 20 gallon tank, He's constantly glass surfing and chases his own reflection and sometimes endangers himself doing so. I put up newspapers and a cling background but he still is searching. It's really stressing him out, poor Toothless!

I installed a reptisun bulb and bought a fixture off amazon. What a pain that was. Have made so many trips to Petsmart and Petco and they all give me incorrect info and often dangerous suggestions. I now rely on this site only for my bearded dragon questions and advice. What do you think of his total set up? Be honest anything that you all would change or add?

Thanks
Jen

88673-2320120423.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jen.....you did a nice job, although my screen is dark and I can't see what you have on the far right side. :) If he was doing better in the 20 gallon you can put him back in there until he's about 12-13" . Babies usually do better in a smaller tank. He's distracted + confused right now....and yes, that phase will pass but it may take a while and in the mean time he may not eat as well which is not good for a tiny baby.

gbgirl1705

Original Poster
AHBD":3kg7fbpu said:
Hi Jen.....you did a nice job, although my screen is dark and I can't see what you have on the far right side. :) If he was doing better in the 20 gallon you can put him back in there until he's about 12-13" . Babies usually do better in a smaller tank. He's distracted + confused right now....and yes, that phase will pass but it may take a while and in the mean time he may not eat as well which is not good for a tiny baby.

I sold the 20 gallon already. He's eating really well. That's never been a problem. Just has stress marks and seems agitated by his reelection.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well as long as little Toothless is eating a decent amount then he should be O.K :) Oh, I meant to add [ in my other post ] to watch carefully that he doesn't snag his claws and sprain his foot on the hammock. I'm not a fan of those for that reason, easy to catch their claws in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom