UVB for a 40 gallon breeder tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

dl212

I've been researching uvb lighting options for a 40 gallon breeder tank and I have to say, it's a bit overwhelming. This will be our first bearded dragon (we have leopard geckos). Right now we have the tank, screened lid (hinged) and stand. Is it better to go with the T8 Reptisun 10.0 in the tank with a Walmart type fixture or a T5 HO reflector fixture on the screen lid. I am open to both options, but am confused about safe distances to basking spots.
We are thinking about getting a sub adult and will be visiting the Hamburg reptile show this weekend.
Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a bit borderline with a tank that size. If you can mount the fixture inside the tank, a T8 will work. The optimal distance (if you use a fixture with a reflector) for a T8 is about 6-8'' from the bulb. If you go with a T5, it can sit right on top and will provide plenty of UVB, but the optimal output is at about 12'' from the bulb so it limits how high you can make climbing areas. You could build or buy a grow light stand that can sit around the tank so you can mount the T5 a bit higher which is probably the best way to go. There is more information about distances and outputs available on Taterbug's website here https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

dl212

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick response! What reflector fixture would be best for the T8 in the tank? I'll take a look at the link as well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used this one with my 20g tank https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Slimline-Desert-Fluorescent-Fixture/dp/B0006L10NY The Zilla Desert 50 bulb it comes with is OK. Just make sure to remove the clear plastic cover before using it, that will intercept all of the UVB. There are two holes in the side that can be used to hang it to the back of the tank (facing down) using command hooks or similar. You could also wire it to the inside of the lid which might be more secure.

I use this T5 now and it works really well http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ The output is much higher and the bulb will last over a year rather than needing to be replaced after 6 months like a T8.

falconut

I've got a 24" zoomed t5 fixture with a reptisun 10.0 on my 40 gallon. It just sits on the screen and cause it's shorter than the tank, it gives him an area that's out of the light. Hope this helps.

dl212

Original Poster
Thank you for the suggestions. For now I'm trying the 24in Reptisun 10.0 in a Walmart fluorescent fixture mounted in the tank.
Now onto the heating issues. Our house is generally set at 69 degrees during the day and down to 64 at night this time of year. I'm not sure what combination of lights (or CHE) I need to get proper temps. First I tried a 100 watt Reptisun basking spot lamp in an 8.5in dome sitting on screen and not enough heat. I'm now trying the 150 watt.
Any suggestions? I know it's a lot of trial and error at first.
Should I add another light on the cold side? Add a CHE?
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom