Just set up a beardie tank (need feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnarkiest

Howdy! I just set up a beardie tank for the beardie I (probably) will be getting tomorrow and am looking for feedback on my set-up, before I put a beardie in it.
(I wasn't sure where to put this post so that's why it is in general)

88499-7180581279.jpg
The warm side is about 90°F with the basking spot about 105° and the cool side is currently 79°, but it is currently under a fan that is on full blast so it most likely will be a little warmer once I move the tank to its final spot.
88499-1561469492.jpg
(Warm side)
88499-9595606341.jpg
(Cool side)
Sock 'donated' by my goofball cat trying to hide it.

(Sorry 'bout the bad pics, photographer I am not)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheSnarkiest":39qaenhn said:
Howdy! I just set up a beardie tank for the beardie I (probably) will be getting tomorrow and am looking for feedback on my set-up, before I put a beardie in it.

88499-7180581279.jpg
The warm side is about 90°F with the basking spot about 105° and the cool side is currently 79°, but it is currently under a fan that is on full blast so it most likely will be a little warmer once I move the tank to its final spot.

<<< 105F = 40.6degC
90F = 32.2degC
79F = 26.1degC

Spot on pretty much (wont matter if the cool zone is up to 28degC).

88499-1561469492.jpg

<<<< I'd remove the mesh top and replace it with a solid piece of MDF or 1/2 inch plywood and cut holes for the basking light to shine through and mount the luminaire the UVB tube is in under lid.
I'd also use some metal expanded gutter guard type of mesh cover some slots cut in the lid to allow air ventilation.
Trouble with mesh tops are :
--- NOT CAT PROOF-ABLE and puss WILL eventually try to get at your beardie and will likely kill it given enough time and an opportunity (when no one is home) , I know of several instances of this happening which all ended in tears.
--- mesh is a very poor insulator and hot air rises so it's harder to establish and maintain a thermal air circulation pattern inside the tank and hence harder to establish a stable temperature gradient, a solid top will force most the air to circulate, meaning you can probably get away with a lower wattage basking globe or MVB.
--- mesh will block about 25% of the UVA and UVB if the uv light is mounted on top of the mesh
(Warm side)
88499-9595606341.jpg
(Cool side)
<<<< careful with the hammocks , beardies can easily get their claws and nail hung up in them and when they try to get unstuck can panic and do themselves serious leg , joint and toe injuries.

TheSnarkiest

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2wl7pg4x said:
TheSnarkiest":2wl7pg4x said:

88499-7180581279.jpg
88499-1561469492.jpg

<<<< I'd remove the mesh top and replace it with a solid piece of MDF or 1/2 inch plywood and cut holes for the basking light to shine through and mount the luminaire the UVB tube is in under lid.
I'd also use some metal expanded gutter guard type of mesh cover some slots cut in the lid to allow air ventilation.
Trouble with mesh tops are :
--- NOT CAT PROOF-ABLE and puss WILL eventually try to get at your beardie and will likely kill it given enough time and an opportunity (when no one is home) , I know of several instances of this happening which all ended in tears.
--- mesh is a very poor insulator and hot air rises so it's harder to establish and maintain a thermal air circulation pattern inside the tank and hence harder to establish a stable temperature gradient, a solid top will force most the air to circulate, meaning you can probably get away with a lower wattage basking globe or MVB.
--- mesh will block about 25% of the UVA and UVB if the uv light is mounted on top of the mesh
(Warm side)
88499-9595606341.jpg
(Cool side)

Jeez I didn't even think about that, she's usually good about that kinda thing, thanks for pointing it out.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Also very few beardies will recognise standing pools of water as something to drink, more likely to poo in the water or sit in it. Best to not have water in the beardie's tank at all , it will get most, if not all it's hydration requirements from the live insects it eats and from the leafy greens and salad vegs and an occasional light misting to wet it's snout (in the wild beardies drink the dew that forms on them and on the leaves and grasses and rarely encounter standing or running water).

TheSnarkiest

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1vscg1sn said:
<<<< careful with the hammocks , beardies can easily get their claws and nail hung up in them and when they try to get unstuck can panic and do themselves serious leg , joint and toe injuries.
[/quote]

I knew about that, the material I used to knit them is called ticker tape and is more like a fabric ribbon than yarn, so their feet won't go through the fibers. And I knitted it double thick on a loom as to lower the chances of that happening, any sign of problems with them and they're gone. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom