Mounting light above the screen??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have their lights mounted above their enclosure? I am using a 40 gallon aquarium and will be using my other 40 gall one too so I can separate my girls. I was told females could usually live together but after much reading I see that's not true and don't want to risk one getting hurt. They are just tiny only 4 weeks old but if it's OK for that tiny to live alone I want to separate now while they're still getting used to a new place rather than them getting used to it and then moving them. They also don't like eating in a separate bin but with them housed together I fear it'll cause more aggression. I have the other aquarium just need to get the lights to get them separated. Anyhow I'd really like to mount my lights off the screen so it'd be easier to get in and out the cage.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that they'll have their own space. As they grow those 40g tanks will seem small, especially if they had to share basking areas etc. I keep my light on top of my tank. It sits 12'' above the basking area. It's a T5 so it can provide enough UVB to go through a screen without a problem. I have front facing doors though which makes access much easier. If you want to suspend the lights above the tank I'd get an adjustable lamp stand for the basking dome and suspend the UVB tube from a grow light stand or perhaps from bookshelf supports mounted to the wall above the tank.

Mybabybeardies

Original Poster
Awe good ideas. Thank you. Ya I know they are super tiny now but hopefully with them both in their own space they'll get comfortable and start eating the way I've heard babies can eat. Maybe someday they'll outgrow these 40 gallon aquariums and I can put some cages my husband built for our chinchillas to good use. (With some modifications.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom