My cage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VexLight

Original Poster
Yup petco 60$
My wife said I need to learn patience so I have to wait for each piece that's non perishable. One a month and check for sales during each month.

I can be super impatient.

So I'm taking a long time before I get a beardie. Doing all the research. Thinking about rotating greens and squashes out with other fun goodies as my beardie grows.

Need to get the florescent fixture set up once I get it to be well balanced and set so it gets good heat across about 95 across and get a hide rock for cooling off a rock to bask with a hide a spot under it with it being 110 on the baking spot. Two bowls one that vibrates and one that's for water. Slate tile substrate and a baking lamp with a ceramic heater lamp.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member

VexLight

Original Poster
Background behind the glass or inside?
Also I thought you needed 3 lights one for heating over night one for the whole tank and one for basking?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Lighting:
UVB - Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% are the most recommended. T8 needs to be within 6-8" of the basking spot for the animal to get proper uv, T5 bulb needs to be within 8-12". Mount inside if you can as any screen will filter out uv

Heat - Basking spot. You can use a reptile bulb or just an incandescent bulb from the hardware store. As long as you can get enough heat to maintain your temps.

I use a ceramic heat emitter at night as in the winter it gets cold and it helps me keep the temps in the proper range for my girl. You may not need a CHE at all if you can stay within the cool range at night.

You don't want any kind of light at night it will disturb them.

You were talking about a hide before, you can create a hide using kleenex boxes or layered bricks or tree branches. Some of the links I posted show how people have created hides or layers within their viv by using foam and grout. It can be fun to make a unique background that really caters to their behaviour. Basking ledges, stairs, different levels, hides. It's especially nice if you want more of an authentic look. It's pretty easy if you are creatively minded and can be really rewarding.

VexLight

Original Poster
Can do. thats what i thought i said and yeah I am going to try making my own stuff see if i can think of a fun theme or just. I'm debating on either just a standard Australian outback for giggles or maybe do like a city and giant beardie theme.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry, I thought you were thinking about one of those night light combos that emit light. I can see you didn't say that. :p

I don't have familiarity with the 14% arcadia bulb, the stats seem to indicate it would be good for a larger cage. But you'd be able to put it on top of the screen as it wouldn't impact the uvb too much.

The hood with the light in it seems like the best deal.

VexLight

Original Poster
btw how do you guys feel about the name Elliot for my beardie? i got the name from a movie when i was growing up one of my mom's faves.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Well I would wait until you get your beardie, personalities can alter what you want to call them. Plus you could get a female.

I had originally called my dragon Mister Scales, I was 99% sure it was a girl, we were told it was a boy. My husband didn't believe me until she started laying eggs, now her name is Scaley, in homage of my first girl. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom