New Zealand bearded dragon owners heating question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there
I'm in New Zealand and about to get a baby
I've done lots of reading and it seems there is lots of write ups (nz ones) that say you only need a heat emitter if your house drops below 15c - I also no some breeders who do not use heat emitters in nz - anyone else here in Wellington that doesn't use one? Can get as low as 6c OUTSIDE at worst in winter but I have a heat pump which through winter we sit at 24 through the night and he will be in same room as that
I will have a Phillips 100w floodlight for basking during day and a reptile UVB tube
Also my enclosure is wooden custom not glass so will hold heat better

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
no you do not need a heat emitter if that is your question, you just need to make sure your enclosure is at an appropriate temp.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Indoor temps in Wellington should be fine overnight. The CHE isn't needed if the temperatures inside the enclosure stays above about 18 or so overnight. I'd imagine a CHE isn't really needed much in winter outside of Otago. During the day, the basking site should sit in the range of about 38-42 or so with the cool side sitting at around 24-27. The UVB tube should sit on the basking side of the enclosure. If it's a T8 it should be about 15-20cm above the basking spot. If you have a T5, it should sit about 30cm above the basking spot for optimal output.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":2hwhopjv said:
Indoor temps in Wellington should be fine overnight. The CHE isn't needed if the temperatures inside the enclosure stays above about 18 or so overnight. I'd imagine a CHE isn't really needed much in winter outside of Otago. During the day, the basking site should sit in the range of about 38-42 or so with the cool side sitting at around 24-27. The UVB tube should sit on the basking side of the enclosure. If it's a T8 it should be about 15-20cm above the basking spot. If you have a T5, it should sit about 30cm above the basking spot for optimal output.

Tubes are best such as the reptisun 10.0 and uv should span the entire length of the enclosure to maintain optimal health.the reptisun 10.0 should also be placed about 20 to 30 inches above your dragon (i would measure the distance from the floor of the enclosure to the top and go by that also if you are using a pre made tank putting it on the top will be just fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom