light set up help for new 4 foot enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
Were building our Dragon a 4ft long 2 ft wide 2 ft high enclosure.

hes in a 40 gallon breeder tank right now with one heat lamp on the right side along with a repti sun 10.0 tube light on the right side as well.

When we transfer him over to the new bigger tank, should I be increasing the light set up? Will it need more than the one 10.0 uvb light we have and a second heat lamp for the other side, or will his current light set up be enough for his new enclosure.

Gail

BD.org Addict
The cage I have is 4 x 2 x2 and one heat bulb is plenty for it. Sometimes in the winter I will use a CHE at night, it has a separate some so I don't have to switch bulbs around.
How long is the uvb you have now? I use a 36" reptisun, it covers most of the cage so she gets UV wherever she may be sitting.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
If your Reptisun 10.0 is a 22" it is probably a T5HO. You can place it off to the side along with the heat lamp. You may find that you want to add a normal fluorescent on the other side to increase visible light.

You will find that a wooden or melamine vivarium will hold heat much better than your 40 gal, so you may even be able to go down in wattage. Example: my 48"x24"x31" wooden vivarium is heated by a 53W halogen flood, which I may need to bump up a little in winter, but has been great so far.

amyemiline

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh good to know! I have a 50 watt zoo med heat lamp right now and it puts off quite a bit of heat so I will Definetly look into a halogen bulb.

Can I ask also what you used to seal the wood inside your viv? I am having a hard time finding an eco friendly sealer up here in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom