New tank lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Smaug is going to be switching to his 90 gallon tank soon. I just want to make sure I am understanding the lighting correctly. The tank measures 48"x24"x18". I purchased a Arcadia D3 24in. T5 ubv and Zoo Med reflector hood. I am planning on securing it diagonally on top of metal mesh off to one side of tank. Will put basking bulb next to it with additional lighting to set temps. Maybe some light only bulbs for oppisite side since it's a large tank. Smaug's basking cave is 4 in tall. The tank is only 18 in. tall, so that leaves 14 in. from lid to top of his platform, which means his back would be 10-12 in. away from the ubv. I also bought calcium without d3 from bearded dragon.co. Does it matter if I use his regular calcium with d3 or should I change over to the new calcium?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good and the distance from the T5 is just right. I'd switch to the plain calcium. That's what I use. You could sit the T5 forward or to the back of the tank to create a gradient front/back in addition to the side but it's not necessary. Might takes some fiddling to get the basking temps and heat gradient right. I'd start with a 90w halogen PAR38 or a 150w Zoomed Repti Basking light and see how that goes. They burn pretty hot and should do well in a larger tank.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Liam! I'm kind of nervous moving so far away from "civilization". The closest reptile vet is over 100 miles away, so I'm keeping my vet here in Milwaukee for now. Lots of family here to stay with. If there is every a dire emergency I'm out of luck though. Hopefully Smaug will stay healthy! Clean bill of health yesterday from his vet.
Greens are not found in the stores of the north woods of Wisconsin either. Walmart has those giant plastic bags of precut collards, but I don't trust that bagged stuff, and Smaug could never eat it all before 3/4 of it would rot away. I'll have to grow my own. Already have some growing in pails up there. Winter will be the tricky part. Have to grow them inside.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
100 miles isn't too bad in an emergency. We've gone out to Urbana IL several times when needed and don't think much of it at the time if it means a shot at successful treatment. Hopefully it never comes to that though.

Farm stands may be able to help you out in season but if walmart bagged greens are the main option I agree that an indoor garden is the way to go. You could use T5 grow lights that could act as a spare for the tank. I've gotten kale to grow over the winter just sitting in the window. I'm going to try with collards this winter.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My son gave me a gigantic reflector hood with a really big grow light to use. My house is southern exposed with 80% windows in the front room. 17ft. ceiling. Tons of bright lighting, especially in the winter when the sun is lower. Hoping that helps a lot with the winter garden. I've also picked dandelion greens on our land when in a pinch. He loves the flowers from them. I always wash and check for bugs before he gets them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom