Enclosure basking temp trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2 month old beardie coming in about 2 weeks and I'm trying to get everything set up in a 36X18X24, just having some trouble with the temps.

I've been through 3 bulbs , right now I'm trying out a 100watt household bulb since that's the highest I could find at Walmart which gets the temp up to 90-95F on the basking log i have set up about 6" away. Is that okay or should I try a different bulb to get the temps higher ?

The cool side temp is staying around 77F .

Im measuring with the HDE infrared gun btw .

MsCarter

Juvie Member
You really want the basking site to be between 105-110 for a Beardie that age. The temps you have now are more intended for adults. You really just have to play around with different wattages until you find a bulb that works best for your enclosure. You can try a 75-100 watt reptile basking bulb if you have a pet store near by. Sometimes all it takes is a very minor adjustment to raise/lower temps. Your very close, a few watts higher or a different bulb brand and you will be spot on.

Minion3511

Original Poster
Yeah I'm heading out to petco tomorrow and getting a bulb from there .

Would the zoomed or Exo terra branded bulbs be hotter even if they're 100 watts too or should I just go for the 150 watt ? My 100 watt was just a regular household bulb from walmart.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I would honestly take quyllurs advice as I have no experience using house bulbs. I do know they are usually cheaper than name brand basking bulbs. And would prob be the best choice for someone experimenting.

As far as the two brands of reptile basking bulbs I have used both and have no complaints. In my opinion I have found that exo terras seem to get a little hotter. It really just depends on your enclosure and what brand bulb you choose as to what wattages you will need. There really isn't a one size fits all. 150 does sound a little high for your size enclosure though

Minion3511

Original Poster
UPDATE :
I couldn't find strong halogen bulbs at Walmart so I bought a 100 watt intense basking spot bulb from petco

Temps : Cool side staying around 77-80F
Hot side at 85-90F around the bulb
Basking spot at 100 -105F (at closest point to bulb)

Those okay ?
I have the bulb in one of flukers domes 150watt with a dimmer , is that ok to use with this bulb ?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I'm not really sure about the domes (I don't see why it would be an issue) but I'd prefer someone that knows more about light bulbs to give you the okay.

Your temps sound good. If it could be just a pinch higher for a baby Beardie that would be great. but if it's reaching 105 at the basking site this should be enough for him/her to warm up and properly digest. Some beardies prefer the lower end of temp recommendations where as others like the high end. Just pay attention to your little one when he/she arrives and they will let you know. If he/she is basking very little it's probably too hot (which I doubt you will have that issue). If he/she is basking a lot and never gapping it probably needs to be bumped up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom