How to use F10 SC disinfectant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
So I picked up F10 SC Veterinary Disinfectant so I could do a full clean of my dragons tank, but this stuff sounds terrifying?

"If on skin, take off contaminated clothing. Rise skin immediately with water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for advice."

How do I use this? Do I need to get plastic gloves so I can be sure this doesn't touch my skin? Is it really as bad as it says? It wants me to wear goggles. Would love some advice on how to properly use this without dying or something.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the warnings on it are pretty scary. It's safe when it's diluted to recommended amounts though. I use a spray bottle that has a marker for 12oz and base my measurements on that. You want to dilute it to either 1:250 or 1:500 F10 to Water. Adjust the ratio based on the size of the spray bottle you use by converting ml to oz (or keep in ml if your bottle is metric). I have a small plastic syringe that I use to pull some of the concentrate out and put it into the spray bottle then fill it to the marker with water. I use .71ml per 12oz of water at 1:500 or if I want a more concentrated batch I use 1.42ml per 12oz. Once the bottle is filled and ready to go I shake it up and then wash my hands well and it's fine. It's safe to come into contact with it after it has been diluted.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Cooper! That makes this sound a lot less dangerous and scary to be using. Luckily I have both a syringe and spray bottle I can use! :) Am I supposed to rise everything off with water first, or can I just take everything out of the tank and spray this on it? And should it be rinsed off after I sprayed it on, or can it be left there? I think I read it can be left on the glass but not sure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually spray on some vinegar/water mixture and wipe that down to get all of the solid bits up. Once the surface is cleaned I'll spray it with F10 to disinfect it. It needs about 10 minutes of contact but after that you can let it dry or wipe it up. The residue is supposed to be harmless but it doesn't hurt to wipe the area down with a little water after the 10 minutes of contact. Once you get a system down for using it and re-filling the bottle it's not as scary (or difficult). Those little bottles wind up lasting for a long time too which is nice.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Then I'll be sure to clean it with a vinegar solution before then. Now I've got my disinfectant solution made and just need to do the actual cleaning. Considering I won't even need 1 ml for a full clean of her tank, you're definitely right it'll last alwhile since I have 3.4 oz of it undiluted! Thanks for your help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom