Solarmeter 6.2 or 6.5? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! , I've read all the charts & posts about these solarmeters and I still am not sure which one to purchase? My current lighting setup is a Reptisun 10.0 22" in a T5 HO fixture mounted inside the viv. I want to get a solarmeter to make sure my BD is receiving the proper UVB at the proper distances. Ripley can get within 6-8inches from the top of her basking branch and 10-12" from other décor. She is in a 40G breeder tank. I also want to have a solarmeter to measure the performance of my UVB bulb so I know when to replace the bulb. I know they recommend to change the bulb every 6 months, But I would rather have a device to better confirm the decay of a bulb before replacing it. This way it would save me some money. which solarmeter would be better for me? the 6.2 or 6.5? I know the 6.2 measures UVB output & 6.5 measures index. Any advice would help, I would like to purchase one of these ASAP! Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T5 should last over a year but it's great to have a Solarmeter to double check. The 6.2 will measure the decay of a bulb as you mentioned but isn't as useful when you want to compare bulbs or compare output to that of sunlight. I use a 6.5 so I can measure output compared to other bulbs and make sure the output/distance provides similar basking levels to their natural habitat in early-mid morning and late afternoon when they are out and most active which is about 3-6 UVI or so. Either will tell you when the output declines and it's time to replace the bulb.

Ripley1015

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3jcgvvwc said:
A T5 should last over a year but it's great to have a Solarmeter to double check. The 6.2 will measure the decay of a bulb as you mentioned but isn't as useful when you want to compare bulbs or compare output to that of sunlight. I use a 6.5 so I can measure output compared to other bulbs and make sure the output/distance provides similar basking levels to their natural habitat in early-mid morning and late afternoon when they are out and most active which is about 3-6 UVI or so. Either will tell you when the output declines and it's time to replace the bulb.

oh the 6.5 will be able to let me know when the bulb no longer works? Thanks! then maybe the 6.5 will be a better purchase for me, what are the ranges of good UV index that I should be looking for with a 6.5?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the UVIndex should start to decline as the output from the bulb decreases as I understand it. It's a rougher measurement but should still be sufficient to tell you when it's time for a new bulb. I like that it's more versatile so I'd get the 6.5 first and if you get extra money pick up a 6.2 as well but it's definitely a luxury at that point.

Based on readings I took in part of Australia, I try to set the basking area between 3-6 UVI and create a gradient down to little or no UVB on the other side of the tank. 3-6 UVI is what I measured during the early/mid morning and late afternoons (springtime in South Australia) when dragons are likely to be active and basking. From what I've read (and didn't see) they seem to hide during the hottest part of the day when the UVI can easily go up over 10. Since it's tough to make adjustments throughout the day to imitate the sun with UVB, I try to set it at a constant happy medium and create a gradient so they can move around and get what they want at any given time. The 3-6 UVI basking zone seems to work really well as a constant for artificial habitats. If you have a larger enclosure you can create more options which is even better.

Here is a chart I made with the averages of readings I took throughout a week to show a pattern. It's a small sample size but it gets the general idea across.
76248-3462926163.jpg

Ripley1015

Original Poster
Thank you so much Cooper Dragon for your knowledge and information! I now have a better understanding of UVI , thanks for the help and charts I appreciate it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom