Lighting Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

We got home from vacation and have Gonzo back in his home. This morning his basking light blew out . I am surprised because it is only about 1-2 months old. Before I go purchase a new one I want to make sure that I get the correct one even though I was told the previous one was fine.

We have Gonzo in a 40 gallon breeder tank. We have the Zilla slimline desert fixture (plastic cover taken off) with the Reptisun 10. uvb bulb in it. Zoo Med 150 Watt repti basking spot lamp in the Fluker's clamp lamp with the dimmer. He basks on his rock which is 13 inches down from the lamp.

Please advise if this basking bulb is still okay as I need to get him one today. Below is his set up
87112-5474372725.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good bulb but I've also had longevity issues with them sometimes. I currently use a 90w PAR38 halogen flood light as the main basking bulb and it produces similar light and heat to the ZooMed but it appears to be a bit more durable. It's heavier though so it weighs down the clamp lamp too much if it's held up just by the clamp. Better to hang it or sit it on top of the tank. The ZooMed is much lighter and works well when the fixture is clamped onto something.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
CooperDragon,

Thanks! Since I had to be at work by 730 and couldn't get to buy a basking lamp until later I had to put the 75 watt Zoo med basking light on his cage that we had used with the 20 gallon tank. I didn't want him to go all day without a light especially with him not eating or pooping for so many days and he is finally home in his regular surroundings. He seemed to be on his basking rock more than he was before we had left for vacation. is 75 watt hot enough in that big of a tank? maybe he wasn't basking before because he was too hot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible the 150 was too hot. What were you getting for readings? It's important to monitor the surface temperatures throughout the tank closely to ensure there is a good gradient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom