Avoiding eye damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyMojoJojo

Hello, I would appreciate your guidance on a lighting question. Azul is somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. I adopted him in May and that is the age they told me he was. Azul is in a 40 gallon 36x18x18 Exoterra tank. I am using a PAR 38 halogen flood light which keeps his basking spot at about 95-99 degrees. He doesn't seem to like anything over 100. For his uvb, I have a 24" Repti Sun T8 mounted under the screen. Distance from his hammock is about 6 inches. My concern is that he may be too close to the uvb. His basking lamp is on the other side of the cage. He alternates between his hammock and his basking log. I am attaching a photo and would like your input as to whether or not I am risking eye damage by having the basking lamp across from his uvb. Thank you very much!
85043-1901151720.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What is the inside of your fixture like? Is it reflective metal?you may be ok to put it over the screen if so, your mesh appears to be very wide so the reflector should make sure you don't loose too much UV. The reflector also determines the distance to keep but T8 are pretty weak and even at 6" shouldn't be unsafe. (Just maybe glaring and bright)

Regardless of inside or outside you want both lamps on the same side of the cage. UV naturally accompanies heat/visible light and warm skin is needed for efficient creation of D3. This has little to do with the eyes when both lamps are overhead like you have them.

MyMojoJojo

Original Poster
Hi Taterbug. Thank you very much for your help. I moved his basking lamp to the hammock side where most of the uvb is concentrated. His terrarium hood does have a reflector. I'll leave it mounted inside just to ensure that he's getting enough uvb rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom