Buy or build a terrarium (Help with mounting fixtures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello yall, my beardie is in a 40 gallon tank and now that he is full grown I feel the need to upgrade his tank size since he is a big one, his tail is almost a foot long by itself. Anyway, my problem is I live the in the desert with no big-name pet store such as petsmart nearby to pick up supplies. Closest one is an hour and a half away if I really need something. I believe they have a 70 or so gallon aquarium with no top that I could turn into a terrarium? Would have to look into that.

So my question is what is the best place/website to get a new terrarium for him. Google has only turned up this site: http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=3 , which has a 65 gallon tank and stand for about $500, but the problem is shipping would cost $300. Would that be my best bet or is there a better place to get em?

Thanks for the help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are lots of places that make custom cages but as you've seen, the shipping is pretty killer. Your best bet for a large enclosure is probably to build your own. There are some walkthroughs available online and in the enclosures/DIY section here. This is an example of a popular build https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I'm with Cooper, if you can't build it yourself then there's probably someone who can make a custom viv on kijiji or craigs list in your area.

We have a local reptile association and they have a show/sale twice a year that includes people selling custom enclosures. You should look for something like that in your area.

TheCoreyHall

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. Ive been looking into that custom enclosure but Im not sure if I can do it or not.

I did find a better option though. This website: http://pvccages.com/?wpsc-product=48w-x-24t-x-24d-open-front-quick-assembly , can ship me a 4x2x2 tank for only 350 and be here within 3 weeks. It sounds like a good deal to me.

The problem with it though is they use a heat pad and 18" fluorescent fixture. So I would get it bare and drill holes to mount a larger fixture and heat lamp.

My question to yall is, what is a good size UVB fixture for a 4x2x2 tank, and what is the best way to mount it and two other ceramic fixtures for the basking light and CHE?

If that website doesn't work out ill probably resort to building the crossfire enclosure.

Thanks for the help again.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a tank that size I'd use a 22'' T5 mounted to the top. It should be about 12'' above the highest basking area. A standard screw in type fixture should work for the basking light as long as it's rated above the highest wattage you'd use.

TheCoreyHall

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3gzk6v32 said:
For a tank that size I'd use a 22'' T5 mounted to the top. It should be about 12'' above the highest basking area. A standard screw in type fixture should work for the basking light as long as it's rated above the highest wattage you'd use.

Thanks for the help. One more question, I was planning on getting a CHE because my house can get pretty cold at night. For a 4x2x2, is 100 watt CHE too much for just nighttime or should I go with the 60 watt?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
60w is probably plenty. 100w would work but I'd have it on a dimmer or be able to easily move it higher in case it heats up too much. Really only need to bump the temps into the low 70s overnight so not much power is usually needed.

TheCoreyHall

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2po4vyr0 said:
60w is probably plenty. 100w would work but I'd have it on a dimmer or be able to easily move it higher in case it heats up too much. Really only need to bump the temps into the low 70s overnight so not much power is usually needed.

Thanks again. And when you said 22" T5, does that mean the bulb is 22" and the fixture is 24"? Or are both 22"?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's an arc shape where the reflector is and has a rectangular bit on top that has clips that can attach to a wire. It's a grow light fixture so it's designed to be suspended. You could run a wire along the top and just clip the fixture to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom