First dragon, lighting advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All! This has been an exciting week for us as my son finally got Thor - his first bearded dragon!
:D :D :D

We've made a few initial decisions that we're revisiting, and I'd appreciate feedback and advice on our revised lighting plans.

Here's a picture of the enclosure as we have it now - it's 36 x 18 x 18
[ximg]88035 6958249728[/ximg]
(Yes, we're replacing the alpine shavings with tile shortly - bad advice from the pet store.)

Currently we have an MVB in a deep dome at the basking end for UVB+Heat. We have had a bit of trouble getting the heat correct - started with an ExoTerra SolarGlo 125W and couldn't get temps high enough, replaced it with the current Zoo Med PowerSun 165W and fiddled more with the hanging height. We went with the MVB as it seemed to be a cleaner / less complex solution.

However, after reading the consistent recommendations for Arcadia 12% / ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescents with separate basking lights, and reflecting on our trouble getting the heat levels ok, I have talked my son into switching over. I think we'll appreciate the ability to adjust heat for winter w/o worrying about the UVB distances changing. Additionally, we live in an area where winter storms often do glitchy things with the power (surges, flickers and outages), and I think we'll be happier without the fragile MVB (and it's protection circuit cutoffs).

So now it's on me to get a plan put together :)

Goal
On this tank you slide off the top screen to gain access, so we need a solution that doesn't rest on the screen - it's too big a PITA to keep moving the lights around. I'm shooting for a UVB fixture that can be mounted in the back of the tank, just under the screen. Also one that's unobtrusive. Let's start with the question of bulb type (T5/T8) and length, as that dictates the fixture options.

The UVB Tube
I am planning to follow the advice of 3/4 length of the tank, so for our 36" enclosure a 24" T8 or a 22" T5 seems correct. I like the smaller size of the T5 - seems like the overall unit will be less obtrusive. Also, the typical tank depth of 18" is a bit far for the T8. However, I'm concerned about minimum distances.

As you can see, Thor likes to bask on his Big Stick. When determining distances for bulb selection, I assume the minimum distance I should be using is from the highest point on the stick to the bulb? If he climbs waaay up on the stick he can get within 5" of the screen (possibly within 2-3" of the bulb). So that seems too close for a T5. I suppose one option would be to go with the T5 for the better "overall tank coverage" when he's not up high, and then reposition the stick so the high point isn't in the corner so close to the bulb. Another option would be to pair the T5 with a non-reflector fixture?

(I've been referencing https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides for distance to bulb data.)

Given the above, would you recommend a T5 or T8, paired to a fixture with or without a reflector?
What about Arcadia vs ReptiSun?

The Fixture
Since the screen gets removed, the fixture must mount to the tank itself. I suppose it could somehow hang from the back edge (I guess we'd have to cut some relief holes in the screen frame or the tank edge) or be secured to the glass itself (I see references to "command hooks"?). Searching threads (oh I've been searching, yes I have!), I've seen the following suggested at various times:

Given my mounting concerns, any specific suggestions?

Basking Bulbs
Given that currently we're ok on temp range with the 165W PowerSun, what would be the recommendation for a basking bulb? We'll likely exchange the deep dome for a regular dome (so we can get the bulb closer when needed). We also have a CHE for winter use (we let the house get pretty cool at night in the winter - below 60) that could be used to augment a basking bulb if that's a good option.

That was longer than I thought!

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The lighting can definitely be tricky at first but once you have it all dialed in, it's pretty hands off. The 160w PowerSun should be mounted according to UVB output so it should sit between about 12-14'' above the highest basking area. That makes it difficult to adjust the heat gradient as you're discovering. I prefer having a separate UVB and heat light for this reason. I use a PAR38 halogen flood light for a basking light and it works well. It's attached to a dimming thermostat (herpstat2) which keeps it in a certain range according to 2 probes. You can also use an adjustable lamp stand to raise/lower the fixture and more easily set your temperature gradient. I would keep the lamp at least 12'' above the basking area to keep it out of reach and to create a sufficiently wide basking area.

For UVB, I'd probably go with a T8 and reflector if you want it inside the mesh top. A T8 should sit about 6-8'' above the highest basking area. If you go with a zilla slimline fixture (18'') it will have two holes on the side that you can use for mounting it on command hooks (small, 1lb rated each) so the light is facing down. Alternatively you could use wire to suspend it to the bottom of the screen. Just be sure to remove any clear plastic covering from in front of the bulb because that will intercept all of the UVB. The T5 is a good option for a larger tank but you'd want that to sit on top of the mesh top. I wouldn't want to have a T5 closer than about 12'' so it's not a good option for inside the tank.

thorskeepers

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback, we have been busy with making changes and I neglected to post back.

In the end we went with a ReptiSun 10.0 T5 above the screen, in a slim hood. I ended up making a little bracket for it out of aluminum angle to suspend it just above the screen top, so it doesn't interfere with opening and closing the top.

Thor's favorite spot is about 6-8" away from the bulb, with the screen in the middle. I think he should be fine at that distance.

For heat we have a basking lamp, but may switch over to a plain halogen when this one goes (easier to find replacements). Sometimes we are supplementing with a CHE during the day (as temps fall here in Seattle), and leave the CHE on at night.

I'll post a picture soon, but he's asleep now so the lights are all off.

Thanks again!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. The T5 is a better long range bulb but if you provide him with an option to have some shade areas and parts further from the light and he wants to be close to it, that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom