Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
It's been months since my beardie stopped being active. Eats rearely. Could sit the whole day in the same spot and refuses to bask longer than 15 minutes. Could it just be he character? I have been to vet - there's nothing wrong with him.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can you post a picture of him and the set up?What kinds of lights are you using? Brands? What are the temps and how do you take them?

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
83478-8436139850.jpg
I have a basking and a t8 10.0 uvb reptisun temps are 80-85 in the middle and basking 95-100. But he refuses to bask - seems hot. Enclosure is 4x2x1.5 wooden
83478-1745131361.jpg
83478-4731386825.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The setup looks good and he seems pretty alert in that last picture. How is his weight? Has that been holding steady?

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
He was sick for some time but I'm not sure what it was, neither was the vet. Eventually I stopped giving meds he prescribed (he agreed they are not doing any good), and he seemed better and started eating. But not moving much. Just sits and stares all the time. He is about 390g

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
390 isn't bad. I'd keep close track and watch for trends though. I think weight trends will be the best indicator if he isn't showing other signs of illness. If his weight stays relatively stable he's probably OK.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What is the wattage of the heat bulb ? It's pretty close to the basking log, so since he avoids it I think it's just too hot. And how do you hydrate him ? He may be dehydrated as well.

gohiking

I swear by the organic med reptaid. If I have a problem or concern with one of my dragons, I'll give a few days doses of reptaid and like magic he's a whole new dragon!

In an emergency I even gave a dose to a really sick baby chicken and it was a new bird the next day!

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Basking light is 75 and its 10 inches away. I tried reptaid - he started eating but not much improvement

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
It's been about 4 months now of this odd behavior. He doesn't come out from his enclosure unless I love him out, doesn't eat I have to syringe feed him and poops 1-2 twice a week....went to the vet several times and nothing ... I don't understand why he is like that...runs around but not a lot, when in his cage sits on the hammock the whole day...

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
how do i know if he is about to brumate? since he has been lethargic for several months, and i move him from his hide to basking spot, i feel like he might be sleepy and getting ready to brumate, but im not sure since he doesnt move on his own, i dont want to drag him out if he is brumating but also leave him in the shade, cold if he is not...hes about 1.5 years old so this would be the first time. weight stable but hes very sleepy, as soon as i take him out he falls asleep on me.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If his weight is stable then it could be brumation but it's hard to say considering the sluggish behavior over the summer. Since the vet didn't find any issues it's a bit tougher to figure out what the next step should be. Did he have a fecal exam done? If that was done and clear and his weight is stable I'd be inclined to let him be and let him sleep for the most part unless he starts showing a black beard or any other odd symptoms.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Yeah his fecal was done and was fine. What if he stays in the shade but his eyes are open, should I put him under light or let him be?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as he is able to easily move between cool and warm areas I would let him stay in the shade if thats what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom