Rabbit hutch as outdoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you live in a warm climate then extended outside time could be a good idea. I'd wire a basking lamp or heat lamp in one area just to ensure proper temps are met along with the natural UVB from the sunlight. The rabbit hutch is nice but the solid top may wind up blocking a lot of the beneficial UVB. I'd look for one that has an area with just a wire/mesh top to provide protection from predators without blocking sunlight. A roofed area is good to have as well to provide shelter from elements though. I've looked at some chicken coops that look like they'd be a great option.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Something like that should work. I'd just be sure to have an enclosed area to get out of rain/wind/etc along with the mesh area for light and climbing around. If you want something more temporary/portable I'd use a kids playpen. I use one for travel and may use it as an outdoor playpen this summer as well.

76248-2183040744.jpg

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
You should also try to make sure that you have an elevated hide for your beardie so that he/she can avoid rain and the like.
Also Cooper, I have to test it out with her in it for a while (which I will do and post the results after this weekend), but I think you should take a look at the playpen I was talking about earlier. It is absolutely fantastic! It even includes textured flooring, which really helps her with walking around.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That one is on my radar too. If it works well for you I may switch to it because I like the removable top.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I like that portable pen. Is that a MVB you're using?

Do you keep a small bin or something similar to house them in car rides or they just sit up front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom