Can i use flood lights for basking lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those work well. The height and wattage depend on the temperatures you're getting. I use a 90w version of that halogen flood and it works well from about 20'' up from the floor of the tank.

Doublet74

Hatchling Member
You can definitely use a flood for a basking lamp. And if you can't get the bulb high enough. They sell screw in bulb dimmers that allow you to adjust it. I've had one in my enclosure for about 2 yrs. Works great. Just remember that a flood doesn't supply UVB so you will need another bulb to do that.

mraw

Original Poster
Can I keep the flood light the same height as the zoo med bulbs or do the flood lights create more heat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the wattage you use. They put out quite a bit of heat but you'll need to test it. I have a 90w GE PAR38 that sits about 21 inches above the floor of the tank and produces proper temps. Your results may vary though. The basking area sits at around 104 when the bulb is running at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom